Looking to learn how to make the best tart Cherry Whiskey Sour cocktail recipe?
Our easy homemade Cherry Whiskey Sour is the family favourite cocktail to enjoy at a celebratory brunch like Mother’s Day, Christmas or Valentine’s Day. We also love serving this drink in the summer when fresh cherries are harvested in Niagara, Ontario.
Our easy Cherry Whiskey Sour recipe features premium whiskey, tart cherry juice, simple syrup, lime juice, egg white, and freshly plucked cherry.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Travel The World to Taste Whiskey
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best Cherry Whiskey Sour recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best whiskey distilleries.
Some of the world’s most famous whiskey/whisky distilleries can be found in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The booming whiskey trend has also produced a high demand for premium whiskey produced by distilleries in Canada and America.
In Scotland we enjoyed a scenic road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay Scotch whisky distilleries. If you’re looking to experience the best things to do on the Isle of Islay visit award-winning distilleries like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Bowmore.
Fly over to Ireland and you’ll find plenty of fine whiskey produced by famous distilleries like Jamesons and Bushmills. There’s no better way to educate yourself about Irish Whiskey then by taking a tour of Jameson Distillery near Cork and Bushmills along the Causeway Coast. They’re both worth a day trip from Dublin.
Looking to plan the ultimate road trip of Canada to discover the best Canadian whisky?
Types of Whiskey
The wonderful world of whisky can be confusing for newbies as there is a lot more variety compared to vodka and gin.
Whisky is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash or by distilling beer. Various grains are used for different varieties, including barley, corn, rye, and wheat. Whisky is typically aged in wooden casks, generally made of charred white oak.
The best way to familiarize yourself with whiskey and find a new favourite is by sipping as many varieties as you can. You’ll find single malt whiskies, blended whiskies, single pot still whiskey and and everything in between.
Our Cherry Whiskey Sour recipe features premium whiskey and the flavour profile of the cocktail can be adjusted to suit your tastes based on whichever bottle you chose. Add a Bourbon to your cocktail shaker and you’ll enjoy a sweeter flavour. Or grab a bottle of Islay Scotch to experience peaty undertones.
- Scotch: is made in Scotland with either malt or grain. The spirit must age in an oak barrel for at least three years. Many of the top Scotch bottles are revered for their peaty character. Popular Scotch brands include Johnnie Walker, Ballantine’s and Ardbeg.
- Irish Whiskey: has a smoother flavor than other types of whiskey. It’s made from a mash of malt, can only be distilled using water and caramel coloring, and must be distilled in wooden casks for at least three years. Popular Irish whiskey brands include Jamesons, Bushmills and Green Spot.
- Bourbon: An American-style whiskey, bourbon is made from corn. In fact, to be called bourbon whiskey, the spirit needs to be made from at least 51% corn, aged in a new oak barrel and produced in America. It has no minimum aging period and needs to be bottled at 80 proof or more. Popular Bourbon brands include Ezra Brooks, Wild Turkey and Maker’s Mark.
- Canadian Whisky: must be barrel-aged for at least three years. It’s lighter and smoother than other types of whiskey because it contains a high percentage of corn. You will find that most Canadian whiskies are made from corn and rye, but can also include wheat and barley. Popular Canadian whisky brands include Canadian Club, JP Wiser’s and Wayne Gretzky Estates.
Homemade Cherry Whiskey Sour Recipe
Whenever my family hosts a summer barbecue we always serve this homemade Cherry Whiskey Sour.
Making homemade cherry juice is very easy. Simply put a basket of fresh cherries and blitz the fruit in a blender. Strain the blended cherry pulp through a fine metal sieve and you’re ready to go!
We’ve tested this Tart Cherry Sour recipe many times and find whiskey offers the best pairing. You can also substitute whiskey for rum, vodka, or gin if that’s the spirit you prefer.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Cherry Whiskey Sour soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Cherry Whiskey Sour Ingredients
Our easy Cherry Whiskey Sour recipe is made with the best fresh ingredients:
- Whiskey: we tested this recipe with Ezra Brooks Bourbon, Tomatin Scotch and Stranahan’s Whiskey.
- Cherry Juice: we suggest using freshly pressed cherry juice but you could also use Knudsen or Cheribundi.
- Citrus Juice: we use lime juice in this recipe but you could also use fresh lemon juice.
- Simple Syrup: we make our own homemade simple syrup but you could also spice things up by using Organic Ginger Syrup by The Ginger People.
- Egg White: this makes our Cherry Whiskey Sour extra festive and adds a frothy and creamy mouth feel.
- Cherry: adorn the rocks glass with a fresh cherry or plump Luxardo Maraschino Cherry.
Cherry Whiskey Sour Cocktail Tips
This Cherry Whiskey Sour is easy to make at home, ready to serve in 5 minutes.
The recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
If you don’t like consuming raw egg white, feel free to omit it.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Baileys Iced Coffee Cocktail
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktail Drinks
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
How To Make A Cherry Whiskey Sour Cocktail
Cherry Whiskey Sour
- Cocktail Shaker
- Shot Glass
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 3 oz Tart Cherry Juice
- 0.5 oz Lime Juice
- 0.5 oz Simple Syrup
- 1 Egg White
- Fresh Cherries garnish
- In a cocktail shaker add whiskey, cherry juice, lime juice, simple syrup, egg white and ice.
- Shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds. This helps ensure the egg white gets foamy from frothing.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice cubes.
- Garnish with a Maraschino cherry.
Save this story to Pinterest!