Looking to read a detailed Peninsula Bangkok Hotel review before booking your next trip to Thailand? You’ve come to the right place!
This 5-star riverside hotel in Bangkok has a distinctive wave-shaped design, recognized as one of the top luxury properties in the Thai capital.
I spent 2 nights in the most luxurious suite at the hotel. My Peninsula Bangkok review features info on the award-winning hotels accommodation options, wellness programs, pool, restaurants, bars and unique on-site amenities.
Book A Luxurious Holiday at The Peninsula Bangkok Hotel
The Peninsula Bangkok is a luxurious urban resort featuring a distinctive wave-shaped design overlooking the Chao Phraya River.
Located in the riverside Thonburi district of Bangkok, guests at The Peninsula have easy access to popular attractions like Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn), Wat Pho (Temple of the Reclining Buddha), The Grand Palace, and the bustling streets of Tha Tien and Maharaj. It’s just a 5 minute tuk tuk or water taxi ride from nearby IconSiam shopping centre.
The Peninsula Bangkok originally opened its doors in 1998, counting 37 floors and 367 luxurious guest rooms and suites.
Skip inside The Peninsula Hotel and you’ll be greeted by lush greenery, fresh tropical flower arrangements and soaring glass bay windows in the eye-catching lobby.
The Peninsula Bangkok positions itself at the forefront of Thailand’s thriving arts scene, becoming the first luxury hotel in Bangkok to offer an Artist in Residence programme. Creatively redefining the guest experience, the initiative welcomes Thai and international artists to live and work for two months in a custom-created studio at the hotel. Guests can personally engage with multi-dimensional works by each artist, and enjoy interactive art experiences and exclusive previews and studio visits.
The Peninsula is also the only hotel in Bangkok with a helicopter landing license. Guests arriving by helicopter can be whisked via the exclusive Paribatra Helicopter Lounge to a private, luxury apartment-style residence in seconds!
Peninsula Bangkok Hotel Activities
The Peninsula Bangkok features 367 well-appointed rooms and suites, all with jaw-dropping river views.
The Fitness Centre provides the latest in state-of the-art equipment including treadmills, elliptical, cycle and stair-climbing machines by Life Fitness. A wide selection of weight and strength training equipment is also available, from a full range of free weights to TRX kettle bells. The hotel also boasts a tennis court and full time tennis coach.
On a hot day visit The Pool to recline on a luxurious sun lounger or seek shade in the comfort of one of 12 traditional Thai salas with your favourite cocktail and a light snack from The Pool Bar.
The Spa is located in a stunning three-storey Thai colonial-style building by the river, which houses a number of private suites with steam showers and an en-suite whirlpool overlooking the Chao Phraya River.
The Peninsula Bangkok Hotel features 5 distinct dining outlets, from famous Afternoon Tea in the Lobby to traditional Thai cuisine at Thiptara.
Peninsula Bangkok Hotel Review Highlights
Bangkok is Southeast Asia’s most vibrant metropolis, a city that offers ancient temples and glimmering palaces contrasted with world class shopping malls and contemporary cuisine.
Much like New York City, Milan and Dubai, Bangkok is home to a plethora of luxury hotels, perfect for celebrating a honeymoon or gay holiday. Many of the world’s top luxury hotel brands have landmark properties in the Thai capital, eager to welcome you on your next splurge-worthy getaway.
Before booking your trip, here are a list of highlights that make the Peninsula Bangkok Hotel stand out from the rest:
- The hotel features a variety of luxury accommodations, from chic guest rooms to jaw-dropping 2-story Duplex suite fit for a Thai King or Queen!
- The hotel provides complimentary shuttle-boat and tuk-tuk services. The Peninsula Pier Lounge is available daily from 6am to midnight and the Tuk Tuk service to ICONSIAM departs every hour from 10am to 10pm.
- The hotel offers fun daily programming including complimentary activities like aquafit, sunrise yoga, mindfulness breathing classes, and sourdough-making classes.
- Fitness lovers have access to a 24 hour gym including fun workout classes, free weights and exercise equipment. The locker rooms include a whirlpool, cold plunge, steam room and sauna.
- Tan fans can keep cool on a hot day by relaxing at the outdoor pool, which offers scenic views of the river while boats sail across the skyline.
- The hotel is ideal for couples but also accommodates families with children as they offer kid-friendly dining.
- The property features 6 unique culinary concepts, including Cantonese and Thai fine dining concepts.
- The service is top drawer, from attentive pool attendants to restaurant menus that are best described as exquisite!
The Peninsula Bangkok Hotel Accommodation
The most important question you have to ask yourself when reading a Peninsula Bangkok Hotel review is, “what type of accommodation would I like to book for my holiday.”
All of the rooms and suites feature river views and are elegantly designed and furnished with beautiful teak wood, Thai silk and ceramic elements.
The hotel has open, spacious floor plans and touchscreens by the bedside and bathroom to control every variable of the room’s environment: climate, mood lighting, communications, entertainment, which are supplemented by docking stations and TVs in bespoke armoires.
All rooms welcome guests with a teak foyer, complete with walk-in closets and luggage bench. For business travellers in particular, the executive desk is oversized and fully equipped.
Luxurious marble bathrooms are outfitted with sweet smelling custom curated amenities, which can be enjoyed in rain showers or spacious tubs.
Local perfumers in each city with a Peninsula hotel property have blended native botanical ingredients to create 10 unique and alluring scents. These locally-inspired fragrances are infused in the shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body milk, and soap amenities in all guest bathrooms. Bangkok is an exotic composition of Mango, Lotus and Orchid by Prin Lomros.
Our dreams came true when we were upgraded to the hotel’s most luxurious accommodation located on the 36th floor. The outrageously decadent 2-story Duplex Suite feels like you’re skipping through a sky-high mansion.
The spectacular double-height sitting room on the lower level is adorned with antiques, pillow-soft fabric walls, rich comfortable seating, and classic artwork along the ‘Minstrels’ Gallery’ that overlooks it.
Two elegant guest bedrooms with en-suite marble bathrooms, a private study and a dining room with pantry are also located on this level, while upstairs the master bedroom is swathed in cream-coloured silks and has a sumptuous marble bathroom with separate dressing room. A second private study completes this fit-for-a-king residence.
You May Also Enjoy Reading These Thai Travel Stories…
- Best Romantic Phuket Honeymoon Resorts & Hotels
- Popular Spicy Thai Food Dishes
- 10 Must Try Tastes in Thailand
- Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Review
- Phulay Bay Ritz-Carlton Reserve in Krabi Review
- Banyan Tree Phuket Resort Review
- InterContinental Phuket Resort Review
- Melia Phuket Mai Khao Resort Review
- 137 Pillars House Chiang Mai Hotel Review
The Spa is located in a stunning three-story Thai colonial-style building by the river, which houses a number of private suites with steam showers and an en-suite whirlpool that offer views of the Chao Phraya River.
Traditional wellness methodology from European, Asian and Ayurvedic philosophies combine with contemporary comforts at The Peninsula Bangkok’s award winning spa.
The Spa’s signature treatment, The Essential Mind offers therapeutic touch, healing oil and vibrational sound therapy for the ultimate relaxation of body and mind. Seven singing bowls are used for seven different chakra points or energy centres in the body, allowing the sound vibration to pamper you and slow down your thoughts.
The Spa proudly uses products by Australian brand Subtle Energies, a collection of innovative and results-driven Vedic Aromatherapy treatments.
The Peninsula Bangkok Hotel Restaurants
No Peninsula Bangkok Hotel review is complete until you’ve had an opportunity to wag your finger down each of the hotel’s marvellous menus.
The luxury hotel in Bangkok offers guests 6 restaurants, from award winning Afternoon Tea to refined Cantonese and Thai dining rooms.
River Cafe & Terrace
Each morning guests at the The Peninsula Hotel in Bangkok gather at The River Cafe & Terrace to indulge in an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet.
Sip on a frothy cappuccino while perched in a riverside garden setting as Thai longtail boats cruise by on the Chao Phraya.
Guests can enjoy everything from authentic Thai cuisine to international favourites watching the action of live cooking stations indoors, or dine al fresco on the long, shaded terrace. Skip over to The River Bar for an ice cold beer or locally inspired craft cocktail.
At lunch or dinner the a la carte menu features global cuisine favourites like Shrimp Ceviche, Caesar Salad, seafood pizza and signature Peninsula Bangkok Burger.
The dinner buffet at River Cafe is an epic show of culinary theatre, offered 7 days a week as unique themes:
- Monday: Thai
- Tuesday: Star of India
- Wednesday: Taste of Asia
- Thursday: Seafood Paradise
- Friday: Spanish
- Saturday: Italian
- Sunday: Family Fun
Mei Jiang’s culinary team takes diners on an extraordinary Chinese gastronomic journey.
The sun-soaked restaurant is where refined Cantonese cuisine and dim sum are served in a sleek, garden-view dining space.
Enjoy unique tea pairings with a selection of premium teas sourced from Thailand and China before embarking on an unforgettable and elegant lunch or dinner.
Mei Jiang is famous for it’s all-you-can-eat dim sum lunch, which features a long list of bite sized Cantonese bites. Highlights include Siu Mai with Black Garlic, Crystal Prawn Dumplings, and Turnip Cake with XO Sauce.
The a la carte dinner menu at Mei Jiang offers elevated Cantonese dishes like Crispy Pork Belly with Orange Salad, Phuket Lobsetr Yi Mein, Fried Rice Wrapped in Lotus Leaf, and Noodles with Iberico Char Siu.
Each night, only one dinner reservation is available for up to four guests to enjoy an exclusive nine-course dinner at Mei Jiang. The “Mei Jiang Exclusive” experience features exceptional wine pairings.
Looking to enjoy a taste of Thailand at The Peninsula Bangkok Hotel?
Thiptara serves traditional Thai dishes in an idyllic alfresco setting: along the banks of the Chao Phraya River, and surrounded by breezy banyan trees whose branches play host to what feels like hundreds of gently swaying illuminated lanterns.
Diners can enjoy eating on the riverside terrace surrounded by sweet smelling orchids or inside historic Thai mansions.
Highlights from the Thiptara menu include Crispy Seabass Green Mango Salad, Grilled Duck Leg Confit Red Curry, and Thai Omelet with Crab Meat. We suggest pairing the spicy feast with a cold Singha or Chang beer.
Decorated in lush greenery and fresh flowers at the heart of the hotel, The Lobby with its soaring glass bay windows is the perfect spot to dine at any time of the day.
Guests can feast in The Lobby for a quick breakfast, leisurely lunch or elegant dinner. Highlights from the menu include Lemongrass Chicken Salad, Marinated Lobster with Tarragon, Weiner Schnitzel and Steak & Chips.
In time-honoured tradition, The Peninsula’s famous signature Afternoon Tea is served in The Lobby, accompanied by live music via beautiful grand piano.
Enjoy the dainty British tradition of Afternoon Tea, sipping champagne while nibbling on freshly baked scones, assorted savouries and sweet pastries. Highlights from our visit include Confit Salmon Rillette, Egg and Gherkin Salad, Vanilla Mango Choux and Matcha Madeleine.
The Peninsula Pool Bar
Enhancing The Peninsula Bangkok’s urban resort ambiance is The Pool Bar.
Lay back on a plush, chic sun lounger with a cool drink in hand, or book a traditional antique private sala for an elegant poolside dining experience.
The Pool Bar menu features a tasty selection of international favourites from fresh salads to grilled burgers, gourmet sandwiches and authentic Thai cuisine.
Highlights from The Pool Bar menu include Fish & Chips, Grilled Wagyu Steak Nachos, Spicy Tuna Tartare and Khao Phad Gai.
2 for 1 drinks are offered during happy hour between 4-6pm, which is the magic hour leading up to sunset so highly recommend floating with a pina colada in hand while the sky transforms into a crimson tapestry.
Fun Things To Do In Bangkok
While it’s easy to relax in the lap of luxury at your luxurious hotel pool or spa we suggest booking fun tours to experience all that Bangkok has to offer!
No trip to Bangkok is complete until you’ve visited the Grand Palace and many of the city’s golden glimmering temples. Many local tour operators offer fun tours for those who want to experience the city by tuk tuk, bicycle, riverboat or on foot.
Book one of these private or group tours to enjoy an authentic Thai experience that is sure to make your Bangkok getaway unforgettable.
- Private Bangkok Airport Transfer: arrive to Bangkok with ease by booking a private airport transfer in advance.
- Private 8 Hour “Best Of Bangkok In A Day”: first time visitors to Bangkok will love this full day private city tour featuring all of the city’s top attractions.
- Bangkok Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour: enjoy sightseeing in the Thai capital at your own pace with a hop-on hop-off bus pass good on the Elephant GoGo Double Decker Bus. With 15 stops, you can explore many of the city’s top attractions.
- Calypso Ladyboy Cabaret Show: enjoy a night of dazzling entertainment at one of Bangkok’s most famous Ladyboy shows.
- Bangkok At Night: Temples, Markets and Food By Tuk-Tuk: on this 4 hour tour enjoy the magical of Bangkok at night via tuk tuk. Stops include temples, flower market, street food snacks and dinner at a local restaurant.
- Bangkok Walking Food Tour: join a fun small group walking tour to explore Bangkok’s famous street food scene. Sample dishes like pork with sticky rice and papaya salad.
- Manohra Luxury Dinner River Cruise: hop on a classy dinner cruise on a restored antique rice barge. Admire views of Bangkok’s twinkling skyline while enjoying a 4-course meal.
- Bangkok Jungle Bike Tour: fitness fans will love this 4 hour bike tour exploring Bangkok’s most beautiful natural spaces. Includes a delicious Thai lunch.
- Half Day Tour Royal Grand Palace & Bangkok Temples: this 5 hour private tour visits Bangkok’s most famous attractions: Grand Palace, Wat Pho, and Wat Traimit
- Food Market Tour + Thai Cooking Class: master the basics of Thai cuisine on this tasty tour, featuring a guided market visit followed by a cooking class with a professional chef in Bangkok.
- Muay Thai Show at Rajadamnern Stadium: sports enthusiasts shouldn’t leave Thailand without watching a Muay Thai Thai Kickboxing match.
- Railway Market, Floating Market & Salt Farm Tour: this popular 7 hour tour takes out outside of Bangkok to visit the famous Damnoen Saduak Floating Market and Railway Market. Includes a boat ride.
- Full Day Ayutthaya Historical Park Small Group Tour: this 9 hour day group tour visits the UNESCO Ayutthaya Historical Park located north of Bangkok.
- Pattaya and Coral Island Tour: this 13 hour group tour visits Pattaya and nearby Coral Island where you can swim and snorkel.
- River Kwai Full Day Tour: this 11 hour group tour includes a visit to the infamous bridge on the River Kwai, built by Allied prisoners of war (POW) during World War II. It includes a visit to a war cemetery, Japanese POW camp and buffet lunch.
333 Charoen Nakhon Rd, 66-2-020-2888
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.