The Furstenhof Hotel offers luxury accommodation in the heart of historic Leipzig.
The 5-star luxury hotel is ideally located in Leipzig’s city centre, walking distance from the main railway station.
Furstenhof Hotel features 90 elegant rooms, fine dining restaurant, piano bar, wine bar, full-service spa and meeting rooms.
Save this story to Pinterest so you can look at it later!
Furstenhof Hotel History
Enjoying the title as the oldest luxury hotel in Leipzig, the Furstenhof Hotel was originally built as a neo-classical Patrician palace.
Built under the architect Franz Hannemann in 1890, the original floor plan and courtyard of “Lohr House,” was preserved when converted into a luxury hotel. Over the years the hotel in Leipzig passed through many hands, undergoing renovations, additions and redesigns.
In October 1913 under new owner Mathias Erwig, an additional wing was added and the dining room was moved to the ground floor. The design of the relaunched hotel is now the framework for Furstenhof Hotel today.
In the first half of the 20th-century Furstenhof Hotel became one of the leading hotels of the German Reich, entertaining celebrities and distinguished trade fair visitors. Later in 1940, Jewish citizens in Leipzig found shelter in the hotel when fleeing the Nazis. After the occupation of Leipzig by the US Army in April 1945, Furstenhof Leipzig served as a local headquarters of the US armed forces.
In modern times Leipzig’s iconic luxury hotel has been given a makeover by hotel brands such as Kempinksi, Starwood and Marriott.
Best Leipzig Tours
- Leipzig City Tour: enjoy a 4 hour coach tour of Leipzig’s top attractions.
- Leipzig Zoo Entrance Ticket: visit Leipzig’s famous zoo by purchasing this prepaid ticket.
- Leipzig Private Tour – Half Day: see the most important historical attractions with a professional guide.
- Leipzig Private Walking Tour: enjoy a 2 hour private walking tour of Leipzig’s best attractions.
Furstenhof Hotel’s air conditioned rooms are elegant and spacious. Sumptuous suites feature striped wallpapers, comfy carpets, quality work desks and plush beds. Chic marble heated bathrooms include separate bathtubs and showers.
The hotel’s more affordable rooms offer lovely views of the properties picturesque inner courtyard. Upper category suites are more spacious and come outfitted with swanky seating areas, Nespresso coffee machines and Molton Brown beauty products.
Furstenhof Hotel’s clutch of signature suites have a striking design that includes Murano chandeliers, furniture by Fritz Hansen and Walter Knoll, and Bang & Olufsen sound systems.
CHECK DATES & RATES
All rooms and suites at Furstenhof Hotel include:
- flat screen TV with entertainment system and radio
- free high speed WiFi
- plush bathrobe, slippers and hair dryer
- iron and ironing board
- 24 hour room service
- access to the fitness and spa
- air conditioning, safe, minibar and telephone
- concierge services
- limousine service on request
- laundry and dry cleaning service
- baby cots on request
- shoe shine service
Furstenhof Hotel’s AquaMarin Spa is inspired by the Mediterranean and spans nearly 7,000 square feet. The indoor spa in Leipzig features a relaxation pool, Finnish saunas, small fitness area and rooms for cosmetic and massage treatments.
The raised deck surrounding the spa pool offers blue and white striped patio chairs set inside a garden of faux palms and a stylized rock landscape. A petite pool bar also serves Mediterranean snacks and refreshing cocktails.
CHECK DATES & RATES
Use of the Furstenhof Hotel’s spa is free for guests. A day pass for visitors can be purchased at reception for €45.
Operating hours are Monday to Friday from 6:30am-10:00 pm and weekends from 8am-10pm.
Furstenhof Hotel’s Piano Bar
Located directly through the lobby, Furstenhof Hotel’s Piano Bar is known for its fine coffee, tea, pies, cakes, petit fours and snack menu. Guests can also enjoy classic cocktails, fine wine, local draft beer and selection of fine cigars.
On the weekend guests can enjoy live piano music alongside a sampling of Saxony’s finest spirits. Sip the region’s celebrated fruit brandy featuring flavours such as hazelnut, plum, cherry and peach.
- Caesar Salad: grilled chicken breast or king prawn
- Lentil Soup: mini wiener, sour cream, parsley
- Berliner Currywurst: curry sauce, sweet potato fries
- Black Angus Beef Burger: tomato relish, emmentaler, fried onions, potato wedges
- Selection of Raw Milk Cheese: fig mustard, walnuts, grapes
Vinothek 1770 Wine Bar
Looking to sip fine German wine in the centre of Leipzig? Furstenhof Hotel’s Vinothek 1770 is a chic wine bar featuring a patio that splashes out onto the street.
The best wine bar in Leipzig offers an excellent selection of 200 wines, 80 of which are open and available by the glass. While the majority of the collection showcases wines from Germany, you’ll also find award-winning bottles from Spain, Italy and France.
Vinothek 1770’s pretty patio is a perfect perch to people watch if you’re looking for lunch in Leipzig. Share a bottle of fine wine while nibbling on a cheese plate or down a crispy schnitzel when hunger strikes.
- Charcuterie: finocchio fennel-salami, coppa di parma, parma ham
- Olives & Cheese: green, kalamata, taggiasca, smoked almonds, dried tomato, selection of fresh cheese
- Sandwich: mozarella, tomato, avocado
- Wiener Schnitzel: warm potato salad, radishes
Furstenhof Hotel Restaurant
Ranked as one of the best restaurants in Leipzig, Furstenhof Hotel’s Restaurant Villers is a must for traveling gourmands. The dining room’s neo-classical interior features contemporary chandeliers, moody grey walls and award-winning service.
Each morning hotel guests enjoy a royal breakfast buffet inside the Restaurant Villers dining room. The sumptuous German spread features freshly baked pastries, bread, charcuterie, smoked seafood, cheese, yogurt, cereal and hot food such as eggs, bacon, sausages and waffles.
Visiting Leipzig and keen to indulge in an all-you-can-eat German breakfast buffet? Out-of-house guests can enjoy brunch at the Furstenhof Hotel for just €24 per person. Breakfast is served Monday to Friday from 6-10am on on weekends from 7am-noon.
CHECK DATES & RATES
Restaurant Villers Menu
Offering diners views over market square, Restaurant Villers upmarket dinner menu showcases seasonal and regional flavours. The resident sommelier offers 200 wines with a focus on bottles from Saxony and nearby Saale-Unstrut.
Newly appointed Chef Thomas Sieglow offers haute cuisine dishes using French technique and international influences.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Best Day Trips From Berlin
- Hotel Oderberger Berlin: Luxury Accommodation in Prenzlauer Berg
- 2019 Berlin Food Guide: Michelin Dining to Street-side Dishes
- The Grand Ahrenshoop: Best Hotel on Germany’s Baltic Coast
- Gay Hamburg: A Weekend of Boys, Burgers, Beer and LGBT Bars
- Spreewald Therme in Burg is the Best German Spa Getaway
- Freilandmuseum Lehde: Open-Air Museum in Spreewald
- Gay Potsdam Getaway: Sanssouci Palace to Museum Barberini
- What To Do in Gay Dresden on a Weekend
- What To Do in Gay Leipzig on a Weekend
- How to Live Like a King in Germany
- Things To See and Do in Dusseldorf
- Things To See and Do in Cologne
- Cruising from Koblenz to Rudesheim, Germany
Tröndlinring 8, 49-341-1400
Review Our Travel Checklist When Planning Your Next Adventure!
Find the best flights on Skyscanner
Never travel without insurance! We suggest World Nomads comprehensive coverage as it includes over 250 adventure activities such as scuba diving, bungee jumping and surfing.
If you’re planning a road trip make sure to compare the best local car rental options.
Looking to book a tour or VIP experience on holiday? Book the best local tours on Viator.
Be sure to check your travel destinations electrical plug requirements in advance. If you travel often be sure to purchase a multi-region adaptor.
Whether you’re marching through a city or exploring a rugged rural landscape, it’s important to ensure you’re traveling with comfortable footwear. We suggest these comfortable walking shoes for urban adventures or these waterproof hiking boots when embarking on a hike holiday.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.