Looking to learn how to make the best Whisky Orange Juice recipe?
Our easy homemade Whisky Orange Juice is the family favourite cocktail to enjoy at a celebratory brunch like Mother’s Day, Christmas or Valentine’s Day.
Our easy Whisky Orange Juice recipe features premium whiskey, freshly squeezed orange juice, Cointreau Orange Liqueur, soda water, orange bitters and orange slice.
Save this story to Pinterest!
Travel The World to Taste Whisky
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best Whisky Orange Juice Cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best whiskey distilleries.
Some of the world’s most famous whiskey/whisky distilleries can be found in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The booming whiskey trend has also produced a high demand for premium whiskey produced by distilleries in Canada and America.
In Scotland we enjoyed a scenic road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay Scotch whisky distilleries. If you’re looking to experience the best things to do on the Isle of Islay visit award-winning distilleries like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Bowmore.
Fly over to Ireland and you’ll find plenty of fine whiskey produced by famous distilleries like Jamesons and Bushmills. There’s no better way to educate yourself about Irish Whiskey then by taking a tour of Jameson Distillery near Cork and Bushmills along the Causeway Coast. They’re both worth a day trip from Dublin.
Looking to plan the ultimate road trip of Canada to discover the best Canadian whisky?
Types of Whisky
The wonderful world of whisky can be confusing for newbies as there is a lot more variety compared to vodka and gin.
Whisky is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash or by distilling beer. Various grains are used for different varieties, including barley, corn, rye, and wheat. Whisky is typically aged in wooden casks, generally made of charred white oak.
The best way to familiarize yourself with whiskey and find a new favourite is by sipping as many varieties as you can. You’ll find single malt whiskies, blended whiskies, single pot still whiskey and and everything in between.
Our Whisky Orange Juice recipe features premium whiskey and the flavour profile of the cocktail can be adjusted to suit your tastes based on whichever bottle you chose. Add a Bourbon to your cocktail shaker and you’ll enjoy a sweeter flavour. Or grab a bottle of Islay Scotch to experience peaty undertones.
- Scotch: is made in Scotland with either malt or grain. The spirit must age in an oak barrel for at least three years. Many of the top Scotch bottles are revered for their peaty character. Popular Scotch brands include Johnnie Walker, Ballantine’s and Ardbeg.
- Irish Whiskey: has a smoother flavor than other types of whiskey. It’s made from a mash of malt, can only be distilled using water and caramel coloring, and must be distilled in wooden casks for at least three years. Popular Irish whiskey brands include Jamesons, Bushmills and Green Spot.
- Bourbon: An American-style whiskey, bourbon is made from corn. In fact, to be called bourbon whiskey, the spirit needs to be made from at least 51% corn, aged in a new oak barrel and produced in America. It has no minimum aging period and needs to be bottled at 80 proof or more. Popular Bourbon brands include Ezra Brooks, Wild Turkey and Maker’s Mark.
- Canadian Whisky: must be barrel-aged for at least three years. It’s lighter and smoother than other types of whiskey because it contains a high percentage of corn. You will find that most Canadian whiskies are made from corn and rye, but can also include wheat and barley. Popular Canadian whisky brands include Canadian Club, JP Wiser’s and Wayne Gretzky Estates.
Homemade Whisky Orange Juice Recipe
Whenever my family hosts a special brunch we always serve homemade Whiskey Orange Juice.
The quick & easy cocktail is perfect for serving a breakfast or brunch crowd as it features several layers of orange flavouring: freshly squeezed orange juice, Cointreau Orange Liqueur, orange bitters and an elegant orange slice garnish.
Making homemade orange juice is very easy. We use an automatic Citrus Juicer, which makes extracting the juice and clean up a breeze. We also use the citrus juicer whenever we have to juice a lot of lemons, limes or grapefruit. It’s definitely one of our kitchen gadget essentials!
We’ve tested this orange juice cocktail recipe many times and find whiskey offers the best pairing. You can also substitute whiskey for rum, vodka, or gin if that’s the spirit you prefer.
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Whisky Orange Juice brunch you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Whisky Orange Juice Cocktail Ingredients
This Whisky Orange Juice Cocktail is easy to make at home, ready to serve in 5-10 minutes.
The recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
Our easy Whisky Orange Juice is made with the best fresh ingredients:
- Whiskey: we tested this recipe with Ardbeg Scotch, Bushmills Irish Whiskey and Canadian Wayne Gretzky Estates Red Cask.
- Orange Liqueur: we’ve used Cointreau but you could substitute for Grand Marnier or Triple Sec.
- Orange Juice: we suggest squeezing your own orange juice but you can also purchase Tropicana or Ocean Spray.
- Bitters: we use Dillon’s Orange Bitters but you could also substitute for Angostura bitters.
- Soda Water: we like to use our Soda Stream but you could also purchase Fever Tree Club Soda.
- Orange Slice: make sure not to juice all of your oranges as you’ll want to use one or two to slice fresh orange slice garnishes to rest on the rim of each glass.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Baileys Iced Coffee Cocktail
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
- Best Gin Mixers For Easy Homemade Cocktail Drinks
- Best Recipes For Pretty Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
Best Whisky Orange Juice Cocktail Recipe
Whisky Orange Juice
- Citrus Juicer
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Glass
- 2 oz Whisky
- 3 oz Orange Juice
- 0.5 oz Cointreau Orange Liqueur
- 2 oz Soda Water
- 1 dash Orange Bitters
- 1 Orange Slice
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add whisky, orange juice, Cointreau and orange bitters. Shake vigorously for 30-45 seconds.
- Pour contents of the cocktail shaker into a rocks glass filled with ice. Top with soda water and garnish with an orange slice.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!