Learn how to make the best homemade Irish Mule cocktail drink recipe.
Our quick & easy Irish Mule recipe features premium Irish whiskey, Caribbean-style ginger beer, fresh lime juice and mint.
On a hot day it’s a truly refreshing Irish whiskey drink!
Save this story to Pinterest!
Travel The World to Taste Whiskey
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with the best Irish Mule cocktail recipe then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best whiskey distilleries.
Some of the world’s most famous whiskey/whisky distilleries can be found in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The booming whiskey trend has also produced a high demand for premium whiskey produced by distilleries in Canada and America.
In Scotland we enjoyed a scenic road trip to the Isle of Islay, which is best known for its famous Islay Scotch whisky distilleries. If you’re looking to experience the best things to do on the Isle of Islay visit award-winning distilleries like Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Bowmore.
Fly over to Ireland and you’ll find plenty of fine whiskey produced by famous distilleries like Jamesons and Bushmills. There’s no better way to educate yourself about Irish Whiskey then by taking a tour of Jameson Distillery near Cork and Bushmills along the Causeway Coast. They’re both worth a day trip from Dublin.
Looking to plan the ultimate road trip of Canada to discover the best Canadian whisky?
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
Best Irish Whiskey
Traditional Irish Mule cocktails are quick and easy to prepare. It’s an Irish take on the classic Whiskey and Ginger Beer. Authentic recipe ingredients include blended Irish whiskey, Caribbean-style ginger beer, lime juice and fresh mint.
If it’s your first time making a homemade Irish Mule you’ll want to sample a selection of bottles distilled on the Emerald Isle.
Our favourite Irish whiskies include:
- Jameson Irish Whiskey: The world’s most popular Irish whiskey brand. Expect smooth and toasty notes of malted barley with hints of sugar.
- Bushmills Original: The original bottling of this classic Irish whiskey, its lighter palette speaks of fresh berries and subtle vanilla notes that make it a perfect starting point for those who want to build their understanding of Irish whiskey.
- Tullamore D.E.W. Original: This blended Irish whiskey is a perennial favorite for its smooth finish and versatile, citrus-forward palette that makes it a perfect pick for fruitier cocktails like a classic sour.
- Redbreast: It’s velvety and fruity, and has just enough oak to add character and flavor without getting too woody. It’s rich, spicy and full of dried red fruit.
- Powers Gold Label: This heavier style of a blended Irish whiskey is great for all types of cocktails. Think honey, golden raisins, and hay.
- Green Spot: One the few single pot-stilled Irish whiskeys aged 7-10 years. The whiskey matures in a combination of new bourbon and refill bourbon casks as well as sherry casks.
- The Sexton: Produced from triple distilled 100% malted barley, and aged in former sherry butts. The dark hexagonal bottle featuring a spooky skeleton is our fave!
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Irish Mule soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartenders best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
Irish Mule Ingredients
Our homemade Irish Mule drink is made with premium ingredients:
- Irish Whiskey: we suggest using premium blended Irish whiskies like Green Spot, Tullamore Dew or Bushmills.
- Ginger Beer: use a Caribbean style non-alcoholic ginger beer such as Fever Tree or The Great Jamaican Ginger Beer Co.
- Lime Juice: we always suggest juicing fresh limes as you’ll taste the difference. Do not use store bought lime juice!
- Mint: pluck fresh mint from your garden or purchase a few sprigs at your grocery store or farmers market.
Irish Mule Cocktail Tips
This Irish cocktail recipe is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
We love serving our Irish Mule recipe in the Spring and Summer. The refreshing whiskey cocktail is a crowd pleaser at garden parties, family barbecues and cottage cocktail hours.
The green colour of the lime and mint as well as the provenance of the Irish whiskey makes it a great drink to enjoy at St. Patrick’s Day parties.
Our Irish Mule recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a punch bowl or jug.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Best Pink Gin Cocktails
- Best Orange Gin & Yellow Gin For Cocktails
- Best Gin Mixers
- Best Gay Cocktail Drinks To Enjoy During Pride
- Exploring the World of Whiskey at Home
- Multnomah Whiskey Library in Portland
- Gay Bars Puerto Vallarta: Best Clubs, Cantinas and Cabarets
- Best Ottawa Cocktail Bars
- Best Cocktail Bars in Rochester
- Best Cocktails Bars in Calgary
- Best Cocktail Bars in Savannah
- Best Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Hong Kong
- 5 Luxury Hotel Cocktail Bars in Manhattan
- Best Bali Bars for Cocktail Lovers
- Toronto’s Best Craft Cocktails at Bar Chef
- Shake Up Healthy Absolut Cocktails While Prancing Through Pride
- Celebrate TIFF by Sipping Cocktails at Toronto’s Best Luxury Hotels
- Splash Into Summer with These Sparkling Citrus Cocktails
- This Christmas Craft Festive Cocktails with Quality Chocolate
- Procreate Tutorial: How To Draw A Bottle
- Aperol Gin Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Pomegranate Gin Fizz Cocktail Drink Recipe
- Irish Whiskey Sour Drink Cocktail Recipe
- Healthy Cucumber Gin and Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Bushmills Cocktail: Irish Whiskey and Apple Juice Recipe
How To Make An Easy Irish Mule Recipe
Irish Mule Cocktail
- Cocktail Glass
- Shot Glass
- Cocktail spoon
- 2 oz Irish Whiskey
- 6 oz Ginger Beer
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- Lime Slice garnish
- Mint Sprig garnish
- In an ice-filled cocktail glass add whiskey and lime juice.
- Top with ginger beer then stir with a cocktail spoon.
- Garnish with lime slice and mint sprig.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!