Looking to make the most deliciously chewy Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats squares or bars?
Our easy homemade Rice Krispies Treats recipe is the perfect no-bake dessert for peanut lovers, featuring creamy peanut butter, peanut butter chips and roasted peanuts.
You can make these peanut butter flavoured marshmallow puffed rice cereal bars as a sweet snack and fun dessert for kids parties, movie night or packed in your bag for a scenic hike or camping trip.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Are Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars?
Rice Krispies Treats are a no-bake dessert commonly made through binding Kellogg’s Rice Krispies or another crisp rice cereal together with butter or margarine and marshmallow. Though they are traditionally home-made, Kellogg’s began to market the treats themselves in 1995.
Homemade Rice Krispie Treats are also known as Rice Krispie Bars and Rice Krispie Squares.
Our favourite recipe adds another breakfast favourite, creamy peanut butter. Peanut Butter Rice Krispies are a chewy dessert which can be served as a sweet snack when sliced into bars or squares.
We add additional nutty flavour by topping the squares with roasted peanuts or candied peanuts and peanut butter chips.
If you love peanut butter you may also enjoy Peanut Butter Flapjacks and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins.
What Are Rice Krispies?
Rice Krispies are a breakfast cereal, marketed by Kellogg’s in 1927 and released to the public in 1928.
Rice Krispies are made of crisped rice (rice and sugar paste that is formed into rice shapes then cooked, dried and toasted), and expand forming very thin and hollowed out walls that are crunchy and crisp. When milk is added to the cereal the walls tend to collapse, creating the brands signature “snap, crackle and pop” sounds.
While it is most commonly enjoyed at brunch in a bowl with milk and fresh fruit, this Peanut Butter Rice Krispies recipe is our favourite way to eat the crunchy cereal. A simple and satisfying dessert!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Recipe Tips
If it’s your first time making Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars at home be sure to review our detailed step-by-step recipe below. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to get you started:
- We suggest using a high quality rubber spatula so you can easily stir and scrape down the side of the bowl as the melted marshmallows can easily stick to a wooden spoon. Spatula is always best!
- You can prepare the marshmallow mixture in a pot over the stove or in a microwave using a microwave-safe bowl. We always use a microwave as it makes cleanup much easier.
- Prepare the recipe in a non-stick square cake pan.
- We’ve used butter in this recipe but you can substitute with any flavourless vegetable oil like canola oil, or melted margarine.
- We’ve used creamy peanut butter but you can use crunchy peanut butter for additional texture.
- We like to use mini marshmallows as they melt quicker but you can purchase large marshmallows and use a knife or scissors to cut them into smaller pieces.
- We’ve topped the squares with roasted peanuts but you can use candied peanuts or beer nuts if you prefer.
- We’ve added peanut butter chips to the squares but you can use chocolate chips if you’d like to add a cocoa flavour to the dessert.
When To Serve Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars
You can eat Peanut Butter Rice Krispies anytime of the year!
This no-bake recipe produces an ideal chewy and crunchy texture with the added eye-catching appeal of peanut butter chips and roasted peanuts on top.
Since this dessert takes less than 20 minutes to make it’s the perfect recipe to make last minute. We love to serve them at kids birthday parties, potlucks, movie nights and summer barbecues.
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars are one of the easiest snacks to pack. Slide them into a Ziplock bag and they make for a great dessert for a kids lunchbox, a midday snack at work or stored in a backpack for a scenic hike or camping trip.
What To Serve with Peanut Butter Rice Krispies
Rice Krispie Treats can easily be enjoyed on their own as a grab and go snack or late night dessert. The fact you don’t need to use any cutlery to eat them means it’s easy to sneak a slice without anyone knowing!
If you’re offering them as an after dinner treat, serve a chewsy square or bar with a hot pot of tea or coffee.
You can also serve a decadent ice cream sundae by placing a Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bar in a bowl and adding a scoop of Chocolate Chip Caramel Banana Nut Ice Cream. Squirt with whipped cream, sprinkle with chopped peanuts and drizzle with chocolate fudge sauce.
You can also make Rice Krispie Treat Sandwiches by sandwiching two of the squares around a scoop of ice cream or gelato.
Essential Baking Tools & Equipment
Whether you’re a novice baker or consider yourself a pastry king or queen, it’s important to outfit your kitchen with quality tools and equipment.
We’ve created a list of our favourite baking gadgets on Amazon to help you make this easy recipe at home!
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- French Knife
- Round Cake Pans
- Stand Mixer
- Cooling Rack
- Cake Turntable
- Offset Icing Knife
- Cake Dome
Is It Cheaper To Make Rice Krispies Or Buy Them?
Do some number crunching and you’ll find store-bought Rice Krispies Treats cost more than twice as much as a homemade recipe. They’re quick to make at home and especially fun to prepare with kids. We also love eating them fresh, still warm out of the tin.
Can You Make Rice Krispies With Stale Marshmallows?
Lack of moisture means old marshmallows don’t melt properly. Instead, the dehydrated marshmallows congeal into a thick mass. When making Rice Krispies treats, always opt for fresh marshmallows.
What Happens If You Put Too Much Butter In Rice Krispie Treats?
The best Rice Krispie Treat requires the perfect ratio of butter to marshmallow to rice cereal. Too much marshmallow and butter can make a super sticky, wet or soggy slice, while too little makes a hard, dry or crumbly one.
How Long Should Rice Krispie Treats Cool Before Cutting?
While you might be tempted to eat the chewy squares immediately after making them, let them cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares or bars. The cooled marshmallow-cereal mixture will be much easier to cut. For easy cutting, unmold the pan of treats onto a cutting board.
Why Are My Rice Krispies Treats Hard?
It’s likely you left the marshmallow mixture on the stove or in the microwave for too long. Since the marshmallows have sugar in them, leaving it on the heat for a long period of time can cause the sugar to harden. To prevent this, make sure to remove it from the heat completely after melting down the marshmallows and peanut butter.
Why Are My Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Falling Apart?
You likely added too much butter, too many marshmallows, or you used a natural peanut butter with more liquid and oil in it causing the mixture to break down. If you follow the measurements in our recipe you should have no problem. Don’t eyeball ingredients be sure to measure them out exactly.
Can I Make Rice Krispie Treats The Night Before?
Homemade Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Bars are at their best the day they’re made. However, they can be enjoyed for up to 2-3 days if stored properly. Store Rice Krispie treats at room temperature, in a container or bag that seals airtight.
Can I Freeze Rice Krispie Squares?
If you want to store the bars for longer than two days, try freezing them! To freeze rice krispies, allow them to cool completely and cut them into squares. Wrap each square in a piece of wax paper and place them in a large freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
You May Also Enjoy These Dessert Recipes…
- Double Chocolate Ice Cream
- Roasted Hazelnut Ferrero Rocher Cookies
- Tebirkes Danish Poppy Seed Pastry
- Flodeboller Danish Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies
- Nussecken German Nut Corners
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Blondies
- Vegan Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond Chocolate Orange Muffins
- Decadent Toblerone Brownies
- Vegan Gluten Free Polenta Eggless Lemon Cake
- Kinder Bueno Brownies
- Jamaican Old Fashioned Hummingbird Cake
- Gianduja Hazelnut Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream
- Gianduja Hazelnut Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream
How To Make Chewy Peanut Butter Rice Krispies
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl
- Square Baking Tin
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup Roasted Peanuts chopped
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter Chips
- In a large microwaveable bowl melt the butter and peanut butter, about 1 minute.
- Fold in the marshmallows with a rubber spatula. Return to the microwave and heat until marshmallows have puffed up and are no longer solid, approximately 1 minute. Remove from the microwave, add vanilla, and stir to create a homogenous mixture.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal and gently fold to coat in the peanut butter marshmallow mixture.
- Gentle press the warm mixture into a greased 9 inch pan or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and peanut butter chocolate chips. Use the palm of your hands to press them into the squares.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting into 16 squares.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!