JW Marriott Muskoka is a luxury hotel and resort on Lake Rosseau in the heart of Ontario cottage country.
Ranked as one of the best hotels in Muskoka, the JW Marriott on Lake Rosseau is a sweeping multi-faceted resort. It sits perched over a 100-foot granite bluff, a short drive from nearby Port Carling, Bala, Bracebridge and Parry Sound.
Save this story to Pinterest so you can look at it later!
JW Marriott Muskoka, A Luxury Hotel & Resort
The best resort in Muskoka is renowned for its spectacular view of Lake Rosseau, sprawling manicured lawns and private beaches. The property channels the luxurious standards of the JW Marriott Resort brand, offering guests inspiring surroundings to immerse themselves into local Ontario cottage country culture.
Guests at the luxurious Muskoka resort can visit the property during all four seasons of the year, enjoying on-site educative nature trails, dynamic outdoor activities and unique workshops with local artisans, authors and craftspeople.
Guests can enjoy a relaxing getaway thanks to the resort’s luxury guest rooms and suites, award-winning on-site restaurants, signature spa, 24-hour fitness centre and year-round indoor/outdoor swimming pool.
JW Marriott Muskoka also offers an idyllic setting for conferences, retreats or weddings. The luxury resort on Lake Rosseau features 15 event rooms spread across more than 11,000 sq ft.
JW Marriott Muskoka’s History
The scenic landscape upon which JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka is built originally housed a summer resort known as Paignton House. John Frederick Pain and his wife Charlotte Tuck opened the resort in 1894, catering initially to fishermen and farmers, and eventually to seasonal vacationers.
Now the spectacular location is home to a luxurious destination resort. The foundation of the original Paignton House on Fish Rock peninsula can still be seen from the rooftop terrace of the current building, and a wing of the modern luxury resort is named Paignton House after the first hotel that welcomed visitors here.
JW Marriott Muskoka Design
Muskoka’s best luxury hotel first opened its doors in 2008. The hotel’s amenities are located in the main building with interiors and public spaces artfully designed by internationally recognized designer Frank Nicholson (who has also done work for Four Seasons Hotels and Ritz-Carlton properties).
In 2018, the Muskoka resort completely refurbished the look of its lobby, living room and public spaces. The recent interior design refresh was designed by mackaywong, reflecting the authentic cottage country soul of Muskoka through elegant artworks and natural elements. Some of our favourite details reveal elements of the destination such as hand-painted canoe paddles on a woven-rope background in the lobby, lake maps within lamp shades at the Muskoka house, birch bark wall paper and works by local artists featured in the hallway leading to the jaw-dropping Rosseau Ballroom.
Skip around the JW Marriott Muskoka and you’ll also find a Canadian white oak sculpture reminiscent of a canoe floating in a lake, a light fixture that mimics a beehive, and a giant Muskoka chair which sits perched over the Paignton House Lawn.
JW Marriott Muskoka Accommodation
JW Marriott Muskoka’s luxurious rooms and suites are distributed between two buildings – The Longview and Paignton House. The Muskoka resort features 221 chic spacious studios and suites, many with balconies and heart-stopping views of Muskoka’s pretty lakes and woodlands.
Guest rooms include stone fireplaces, high-speed WIFI, 55″ high definition TVs, individual climate controls, ceiling fan, windows, hair dryer, iron, ironing board, galley to full kitchen (depending on room type) with refrigerator, in-room safe, plush bathrobes, luxurious oversized bathroom and separate bathtub and shower.
Renovations to the JW Marriott Muskoka began on November 3, 2019 with 100% of guest rooms to be completed by April 1, 2020. Over the course of the winter, the resort will renovate 10 to 20 sections of guest rooms at a time until all 221 rooms are complete. The renovation schedule is designed to make the work completely invisible to guests.
The resort’s guest room facelift follows the 2018 renovation to the lobby, lounge, library and Muskoka Room. The stylish new colour scheme of blues, white and grey will replace the current pastel greens and golds. Fresh carpet, draperies and wall coverings will complement the sleek new occasional furniture that replaces wicker and rattan.
JW Marriott Muskoka Spa
The hotel’s jaw-dropping Spa Rosseau offers guests looking to primp and pamper a range of rejuvenating therapies and rituals including body wraps, Vichy treatments, massage and aesthetic services.
JW Marriott Muskoka’s spa also includes a private seasonal adult only outdoor pool and whirlpool, aroma-infused steam room, sauna, men’s and women’s relaxation lounges serving health refreshments, men’s and women’s indoor hot tubs and the all new Hydrospa with H20 bed, massage chairs, food massagers, oxygen bar, and oxygen facials.
The spa’s retail store sells a wide range of skin care products, jewellery and clothing.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- 12 Things To Do at Taboo Resort in Muskoka
- Windermere House on Lake Rosseau in Muskoka
- Lake of Bays Brewing: Muskoka Craft Beer in Baysville
- Muskoka Brewery: Enjoy a Tour and Craft Beer Tasting in Bracebridge
- 10 Tips on Hosting the Ultimate Cottage Weekend
JW Marriott Muskoka Day Spa Membership
Guests can pay to use the resort’s spa for the day at a rate of $100 May-October and $80 November-April. Daily spa memberships are complimentary for those who book treatments valued at over $85.
Spa Daily Memberships Include
- Access to the spa’s relaxation lounges.
- Private outdoor pool and whirlpool.
- Men’s and womens’ aroma-infused steam room, sauna, and indoor whirlpool.
- Hydrospa H20 bed, oxygen bar, massage chairs, oxygen facials and foot massagers.
- Luxurious locker rooms including spa robe and slippers.
- Signature spa amenities and complimentary wellness refreshments and snacks.
- 24 hour fitness centre access.
Spa Rosseau’s Signature Treatments
- Vichy Hammam Ritual. 75 minutes at $295
- Customized Facial. 50 minutes at $170 or 80 minutes at $250
- Ginger Coconut Argan Sugar Glow: 50 minutes at $170
- The Rosseau for Two. 80 minutes at $250 per person
JW Marriott Muskoka Activities
Muskoka is a haven for those who enjoy outdoor recreational activities. The JW Marriott in Muskoka offers guests a year-round indoor-outdoor connecting pool and al fresco hot tub. Alongside the pool is a fitness centre, open 24 hours a day with a range of cardio and strength training equipment.
Other recreational zones in the resort include a games room outfitted with a pool table, table tennis, foosbal and Atari pong. Families can enjoy a studio designed specifically for kids to explore their creative side, offering an array of hands-on arts and crafts activities.
Looking to enjoy an outdoor adventure in Ontario’s postcard-perfect cottage country? JW Marriott Muskoka offers a slew of year-round activities that can be enjoyed Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. Popular activities include canoeing, kayaking, pedal boating, stand up paddle boarding, cycling, hiking, birdwatching, night sky tours, yoga, floatplane tours, waterskiing, wakesurfing, wakeboarding, jet skiing, boating, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, segway tours and campfire cooking.
JW Marriott Muskoka is also located next to The Rock, a Nick Faldo championship par 71 golf course. The dramatic 6,649 yard course is carved through majestic wilderness and outcrops of granite.
JW Marriott Muskoka Restaurants
The luxury resort in Muskoka plays home to 6 unique culinary concepts. JW Marriott Muskoka’s restaurants offer everything from family-friendly dining for those looking for a casual meal, to romantic upscale experiences.
JW Marriott Muskoka’s Executive Chef Shaun Crymble brings a wealth of experience from his years cooking across America. At JW Marriott Desert Ridge in California, Chef Crymble cultivated a passion for Asian cuisine, and at Marriott Longwharf in Boston, he became a master at working with the freshest seafood.
The Muskoka resort’s all-day dining restaurant offers a seasonal patio overlooking Lake Rosseau. Hotel guests arrive each morning to Cottages to enjoy an exquisite breakfast buffet. It’s also the go-to spot for locals looking to celebrate Mother’s Day brunch and Christmas dinner.
Highlights from the Cottage brunch menu include:
- Chia Seed Breakfast Bowl: pineapple, watermelon, toasted coconut
- Beef Short Rib Eggs Benedict: cage free poached eggs, beef short rib, house Worcestershire sauce
- Egg White Frittata: smoked salmon, scallions, goat cheese, side of fruit
- Buttermilk Pancakes: choice of blueberry or caramel chocolate, whipped butter, maple syrup
- Brioche French Toast: thick cut bread, berries, Bala cranberry syrup, whipped butter
The resort’s romantic steakhouse serves succulent Certified Angus beef in a dining room featuring rustic-edged tabletops, hand-scarped wooden floors and a dramatic antler chandelier. The curated wine list at Muskoka Chophouse has earned a yearly Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since it first opened in 2015. Be sure to sample local bottles from Niagara, Beamsville and Prince Edward County.
Highlights from the Muskoka Chophouse menu include:
- Wild Caught Lump Crab Cake: grilled corn & bean succotash, crispy pancetta, cajun chipotle aioli
- Roasted Carrot Salad: honey cranberry thyme roasted heirloom carrots, toasted hazelnuts, white balsamic ricotta, fennel seedlings, orange segments, fennel pollen
- Scallops & Pork Belly: pan seared scallops, confit pork belly, radish, roasted apple cardamom puree
- Bacon Mac & Cheese: slab bacon, grainy dijon
- Steaks & Sauces: filet, New York strip loin, bone-in ribeye, porterhouse with selection of truffle butter, peppercorn demi, chimichurri or bearnaise
JW Marriott Muskoka’s Teca concept is an intimate bistro featuring an open kitchen serving Italian cuisine. The restaurant is perfect for those looking to enjoy an interactive cooking demonstration or culinary workshop. The menu features fresh salads, antipasto, pasta, risotto and classic Italian thin crust pizza.
Highlights from the Teca menu include:
- Sweet Potato Carpaccio: whipped Boursin cheese, pumpkin seed oil, fried Brussels sprout leaves, arugula sprouts, candied pumpkin seeds
- Beet Fritter: whipped ricotta, caramelized honey quinoa, sprouts
- Brown Butter Poached Lobster: saffron orzo paella, tomato fennel ragout, grilled lemon
- Spaghetti San Marzano: signature veal and pork meatballs, torn fresh basil, parmesan cheese
- Classic Carbonara: guanciale, eggs, pecorino cheese, black pepper, spaghetti
The hotel’s cozy lounge bar is the perfect place to unwind after a day spent enjoying Ontario cottage country’s great outdoors. Visiting sports fans can watch a game on the big screen while sipping local craft beer, wine or freshly muddled craft cocktails.
Lakes Bar is open for lunch and dinner and offers live entertainment on most evenings in the summer and during long weekends. Our favourite place to unwind is at the bar’s Muskoka Room, overlooking the picturesque Lakeview lawn and Lake Rosseau.
Highlights from the Lakes Bar Cocktail menu include:
- Bluegrass Smash: Maker’s Mark Kentucky bourbon, raw honey, simple syrup, lemon, orange, rosemary
- Amaro Sour: Averna Amaro, Myers’s rum, raw honey syrup, turmeric, Fernet Branca, lemon juice
- Good JuJu: Appleton Estate dark rum, Leblon Cachaca, pineapple juice, guava nectar, lemon juice, Garam Masala spiced maple syrup, Angostura bitters
- Pimms Pint: Dillon’s unfiltered 22 gin, cointreau, Dillon’s sweet vermouth, lemon juice, soda water, fresh mint, blueberries
- The 80 Proof Mojito: Gosling’s 80 proof rum, agave syrup, fresh mint, ginger beer, fresh lime
The Deck Restaurant
JW Marriott Muskoka’s poolside outdoor bistro sits next to Paignton House and operates seasonally next to the waterfront.
The Deck is the best lakefront bar in Muskoka, a perfect spot to enjoy a post swim thirst quenching drink. The beverage list here includes freshly muddled margarita and strawberry cucumber mule as well as red and white wines by the glass, ciders and coolers and local craft beer. Peckish lake lovers and tan fans can enjoy wood-fired pizzas, salads and succulent specialties from the grill.
Highlights from The Deck menu include:
- Chicken Wings: house spice tossed, carrot, celery sticks, green goddess dip
- Edamame Dumplings: ponzu, aioli
- Cured Meat Pizza: prosciutto, soppressata, truffle oil, mozzarella
- Souvlaki Chicken: mini Greek salad, tzatziki sauce
- Beef Burger: 8oz of grilled Canadian beef, lettuce, tomato, cheddar, bacon
Country Market Shop & Cafe
The resorts gift shop sells a selection of souvenirs as well as quick bites for those looking to grab and go. Guests line up here in the morning to indulge in frothy cappuccino’s and flaky breakfast pastries.
Review Our Travel Checklist When Planning Your Next Adventure!
Find the best flights on Skyscanner
Never travel without insurance! We suggest World Nomads comprehensive coverage as it includes over 250 adventure activities such as scuba diving, bungee jumping and surfing.
If you’re planning a road trip make sure to compare the best local car rental options.
Looking to book a tour or VIP experience on holiday? Book the best local tours on Viator.
Be sure to check your travel destinations electrical plug requirements in advance. If you travel often be sure to purchase a multi-region adaptor.
Whether you’re marching through a city or exploring a rugged rural landscape, it’s important to ensure you’re traveling with comfortable footwear. We suggest these comfortable walking shoes for urban adventures or these waterproof hiking boots when embarking on a hike holiday.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.