This eye-catching Tequila Smash is a classic cocktail perfect for sipping on hot summer days.
Our easy recipe features premium tequila, orange liqueur, simple syrup, lime juice, fresh mint and soda.
It is both refreshing and herbaceous, muddling the tart flavour of lime with fresh mint and sweet Cointreau.
Serve in a rocks glass filled with large ice cubs and garnish with a fresh sprig of mint.
Save this story to Pinterest!
What Is A Tequila Smash?
A Smash is a classic cocktail that dates back to Jerry Thomas’ 1862 How to Mix Drinks.
It is a type of julep: a concoction of spirits, sugar, and mint. Extra fruit, either in the form of juice or garnish, makes it a proper smash.
You can make many different kinds of smash cocktails, simply by swapping the spirit and fruit or fresh herbs. If you’re not a fan of tequila try making a Berry Vodka Smash, Blackberry Bourbon Whiskey Smash or Gin Basil Smash.
Travel To Mexico to Sip A Tequila Smash
There’s no better way to familiarize yourself with a Tequila Smash then by planning a vacation to visit the world’s best tequila distilleries.
The bar at Four Seasons Mexico City is ranked as one of the best cocktail bars in the country. The creative mixologists behind the Four Seasons bar make classic cocktails, eye-popping modern marvels and refreshing drinks like a classic Tequila Smash.
If you want to learn first hand how tequila is made we suggest planning a trip to Jalisco. All tequila is produced in this state, while other agave-based distilled spirits made outside the region are called mezcal.
We suggest booking a Patron Distillery Tour in Jalisco. The gorgeous property appears like a Mexican mansion featuring outdoor fountains, state-of-the-art production facility and enchanting barrel aging room. You’ll see how the head distiller receives agave plants after harvest and makes premium tequila in copper stills.
At the end of the tour you’ll enjoy a tutored tequila tasting and opportunity to sip a Tequila Smash at the cocktail bar.
Cocktail Recipe Ingredients
This thirst-quenching Tequila Smash recipe is made with premium ingredients and is ready to serve in under 10 minutes!
- Tequila: we suggest using a blanc-style tequila by Dobel, Patron or Jose Cuervo.
- Orange Liqueur: we suggest using Cointreau or Triple Sec. This also added sweetness to the glass.
- Simple Syrup: sweeten the cocktail with simple syrup or agave nectar, or honey if you’re in a pinch.
- Lime Juice: always use freshly squeezed lime juice. You can taste the difference!
- Mint Leaves: muddle the drink with fresh mint to give it a delightful herbaceous flavour.
- Soda: add a splash of sparkling water so the drink isn’t too overpowering. The bubbles add a celebratory air to the glass.
- Garnish: with a sprig of fresh mint.
Tequila Smash Cocktail Recipe Tips
This tart and refreshing Tequila Smash is easy to make at home, ready to serve in under 10 minutes.
Our cocktail recipe serves one person. If you’re hosting a large gathering feel free to multiply the ingredients by the number of guests and muddle the drink in a festive punch bowl or jug rather than a cocktail shaker.
We’ve used tequila blanco in this recipe but you can substitute with your favourite golden aged tequila or even a smoky mezcal.
We like to sweeten the drink with simple syrup but you can substitute for agave nectar or honey if you prefer.
Add a splash of sparkling water or soda to the drink to give it a delightful fizz and make it less boozy.
An hour or two before you’re planning on serving drinks we suggest placing the Cointreau and tequila bottle in the freezer so they are well chilled.
Once you’ve mastered the basic recipe feel free to muddle additional fruit into your Tequila Smash. Favourites include prickly pear, blood orange, and berries.
Garnish the glass with a fresh mint sprig and/or lime wheel.
Best Tequila Brands
We recommend sipping a variety of tequila brands in order to find your favourite. Each tequila brand has a unique method for harvesting agave, distilling and aging & barreling the final product.
Here are the world’s top selling tequila brands worthy of being muddled into a homemade Tequila Smash:
You May Also Enjoy These Tequila Cocktails…
- Mexican Cantaritos Tequila Cocktail
- Thanksgiving Margarita Cocktail
- Frozen Mezcal Paloma Slushie Cocktail
- Perfect Patron Margarita Cocktail
- Tommy’s Margarita Cocktail
- Mexican Mule Tequila Cocktail
- Raspberry Chambord Margarita Cocktail
- Long Beach Iced Tea Cocktail
- 1800 Tequila Margarita Cocktail
Best Bartender Tools & Cocktail Equipment
Before hosting a swanky Tequila Smash cocktail soiree you’ll need to ensure you have the best bartender tools and cocktail equipment.
- Cocktail Kit: cocktail kits are the perfect gift for newbie mixology fans as they include basic bartender tools like a jigger, shaker and spoon.
- Cocktail Shaker: a bartender’s best friend. Purchase a premium cocktail shaker to muddle or shake up your favourite pink gin cocktails.
- Cocktail Glassware: make sure your bar is stocked with a selection of unique glassware to show off your favourite cocktail creations.
- Hawthorne Strainer: this unique strainer features tightly wound coils and perforated holes. It keeps ice and other large ingredients like lime wedges in your cocktail shaker rather than in the glass.
- Bar Spoons: slender and long bar spoons are a must-have when stirring drinks.
- Bottle Opener: easily open bottles of beer or cider with the flick of your wrist or purchase a corkscrew for fine wine.
- Pouring Spout: once you’ve opened a new bottle of gin insert these affordable pourers to make cocktail assembly a breeze.
- Cutting Board: purchase a petite cutting board for your bar to slice garnishes or citrus wedges like lime, orange, lemon or grapefruit.
- Ice Bucket: chill bottles of gin quickly in an ice bucket or keep by the bar when muddling gin mixers into cool creations.
- Ice Crusher: fans of the Mint Julep love an ice crusher.
- Ice Cube Kit: we suggest purchasing a selection of ice cube trays. Silicone styles are our favourite as they’re easy to clean and are available in various shapes and sizes.
- Jigger: use a jigger to accurately measure spirits, juices, syrups and shrubs.
- Juicer: invest in an electronic juicer or buy an affordable hand-held to easily juice fresh citrus like lemons and limes.
- Muddler: fans of the Mojito love a sturdy muddler to mix mint and lime. Muddler’s are handy for any cocktail featuring ingredients that need a pounding like fresh herbs or citrus wedges.
- Citrus Peeler & Zester: adorn your craft cocktails with a thick citrus peel or finer ribbons of lime or lemon zest.
- Rimmer: Bloody Mary and Caesar lovers should outfit their bar with a handy rimmer for salting and sugaring glassware.
We love serving Tequila Smash Cocktails in the summer at garden & patio parties or family backyard barbecues.
If you’re hosting friends at cocktail hour you might like to serve this drink at a BBQ with delicious summer snacks like:
- Creamy Cheesy Greek Spanakopita Dip
- Sigara Börek Crispy Turkish Feta Cheese Filo Cigar Rolls
- Spicy Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Mango Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Moo Ping BBQ Grilled Thai Pork Skewers
- Vegetarian Indian Grilled BBQ Paneer Kebabs
- BBQ Tavuk Sis Turkish Chicken Kebab
- Burrata Bruschetta Crostini with Tomato Chutney
- Hawaiian Creamy Coconut Shrimp
- Keftedakia Roasted Greek Meatballs
- Maduro con Queso Baked Plantain with Cheese
- Perkedel Jagung Crispy Indonesian Corn Fritters
How To Make A Tequila Smash Cocktail
Tequila Smash Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Tequila
- 0.5 oz Orange Liqueur
- 0.5 oz Simple Syrup or Agave Nectar
- 0.5 oz Lime Juice
- 8 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 oz Soda Water
- Sprig of Mint garnish
- Combine tequila, orange liqueur, simple syrup, lime juice and fresh mint leaves in an ice filled cocktail shaker.
- Shake for 20-30 seconds until cold. Strain into an ice filled rocks glass and top with soda.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
Some of the links in this story use affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through our site, Dobbernationloves will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps us to produce comprehensive content.
Save this story to Pinterest!