Shuswap Pie Company is the best bakery and cafe in Salmon Arm. The popular restaurant near Kelowna is famous for its savoury and sweet pies and freshly made sandwiches.
Shuswap Pie Company
Little is known about the small town of Salmon Arm preceding the laying of the Canadian Pacific Railway in September 1885. While miners and settlers looked for gold in the surrounding areas, the beaches of Salmon Arm lay virtually untouched. A representation of British Columbia’s pristine natural beauty.
Today, the petite town of 17,000 residents offers a hub for those looking to explore British Columbia’s southern interior, lake dotted Shuswap. This past October the region was bustling as thousands of nature lovers paid a visit, hiking through multi-coloured autumnal forests in search of the wild and wonderful Salmon Run.
I had an opportunity to chat with several locals during my visit and each seemed to ask the same question, “have you stopped for pie?” Upon further prodding I would soon discover that every citizen in Salmon Arm is a de facto ambassador for Shuswap Pie Company.
Step Inside Shuswap Pie Company
Burst open the doors during the lunch hour and you’ll be greeted by a cozy dinning room. The Salmon Arm cafe offers ample opportunity to people watch as the who’s who of town stop by for their morning coffee, freshly baked muffin or slice of steaming pie. It is over sweet sips and nibbles that the town comes to gossip, it’s Salmon Arms unofficial watering hole.
Locals insist, “no visit to Salmon Arm is complete without a visit to the Pie Company,” I concur, their enthusiasm is well founded. They’ll also warn you, “there is always a lineup out the door, it’s that popular you know. Don’t let the wait persuade you, it’s well worth your time.”
After placing our lunch orders I mulled about the space, snapping photos of the tiny open kitchen where butter, flour and sugar swirl together in harmony. Pastry is gently pressed into pie shell before sticky and sweet apple slices are scooped into a heaping mound. The smells here my dear…a bakers delight.
Shuswap Pie Company Menu
At the Shuswap Pie Company things are done the old fashioned way. Baking is done in small batches, using local ingredients. The bakeries famous pies are made with the best natural ingredients available, free from preservatives, mixes, lard and edible oil products.
While sweet and savoury pies are the name of the game, the restaurants menu offers a daily soup, sandwiches, salads and quiche. Our table was filled with a parade of pies, which offered up a stream of steam. We attacked each flaky crust with an army of forks. Crispy pastry splintering and splattering onto the table.
Beyond the restaurant’s famous pies and sandwiches you can also enjoy cakes, muffins, scones, tarts, cookies and cinnamon buns.
Shuswap Pie Company Savoury Pies
- Chicken Pot Pie: Chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes mushrooms & peas in a savoury blend of fresh thyme, sage and rosemary.
- Steak and Stout Pie: Fresh beef with carrots, onions and mushrooms drenched in a rich gravy made with “The Back Hand of God” stout from Crannog Ales, a local organic brewery.
- Sausage, Apple and Sage Pie: English Pork Bangers, fresh apples & sage with a hint of grainy mustard and sour cream.
- Sirloin and Potato Pie: A traditional meat pie made with ground beef, potatoes, savoury herbs and a hint of tomato.
- Creamy Chicken and Leek Pie: Fresh chicken, leeks & celery with a touch of cream, lemon and fresh tarragon.
- Curried Veggie Pie: Sweet potato, black bean, onion, mushrooms, & red peppers, in a mild creamy curry sauce.
- Spinach and Red Pepper Quiche: Spinach, roasted red peppers, asiago cheese, caramelized onion, eggs, cream and a dash of hot sauce.
- Bacon and Cheddar Quiche: Smoked bacon, cheddar, caramelized onion, spring onion, eggs, cream and a dash of hot sauce.
Shuswap Pie Company Sandwiches
- Roasted Chicken Panini: Oven roasted chicken, artichoke & asiago mayo, provolone, red onion, roasted red pepper, & fresh spinach. Grilled on mulitgrain bread.
- Veggie and Hummus Panini: Hummus, provolone, cheddar, artichokes, red onion, red peppers, tomatoes and fresh spinach. Grilled on multigrain.
- The Ultimate Grilled Cheese: Cheddar, provolone, red onion, tomato and bacon. Grilled on multigrain.
- Chicken Pesto Baguette: Roasted chicken, cheddar, lettuce, onion, tomato, basil pesto mayo.
- Tuna Melt: Mayo, celery, red onions and grainy mustard, with cheddar cheese and avocado and grilled to perfection on multigrain bread.
Shuswap Pie Company Sweet Pies
Shuswap Pie Company Hours
Monday to Friday: 7:30am-4:30pm
331 Alexander Street North East, 250-832-7992