Charcut Calgary is ranked as one of the best steakhouses in Alberta. The award winning restaurant is located inside the Hotel Le Germain in downtown Calgary.
Alberta Beef at Charcut Calgary
The restaurants owners, Chef’s Connie DeSousa and John Jackson, have put Calgary on Canada’s culinary map. They’ve appeared on Top Chef Canada as well as enRoute Magazine’s list of “Canada’s Top 10 Best New Restaurants.”
Before arriving into Calgary I spent a few days on a cowboy adventure in SouthWestern Alberta at Sierra West Ranch. I was interested to know what two of the Alberta’s top chef’s had to say about their beloved Cattle Country.
Chef John explains “Charcut Roast House is a very meat-centric hang out, we have a love for all things beef. Our flavourful butcher steak cut is one of our best selling items on the menu. It’s a rarely available, “secret cut of meat” that butchers used to take home to their families. Some of our favourite beef cuts are petit tenders, skirt steaks and flat irons.”
Chef Connie adds, “Our intimate relationship with local farmers, ranchers and artisan producers enables us to showcase the best of Alberta’s unique Taste of Place. We are supporters of all naturally raised Alberta beef and have been featuring a lot of Spring Creek Ranch beef since we first opened our doors four years ago.”
The duo are also responsible for Charbar, Calgary’s best Argentinian asado restaurant.
Step Inside Charcut Calgary
Hotel Le German’s ground floor plays home to one of the best restaurants in Calgary.
The interior of the restaurant is a whimsical mix of cow portraits, mason jar adorned chandeliers, elegant bar and bustling open concept kitchen.
Hotel Le Germain regularly hosts celebrities when they are in town so I was not shocked (but certainly pleased) to be seated beside Donald Sutherland and his son Kiefer. I’ll never forget watching them nibble on roasted corn on the cob while enjoying an intimate father-son moment. Trying not to distract myself entirely with the famous duo to my left I focussed on the task at hand, surveying the Charcut Calgary menu.
Charcut Calgary Menu
Calgary’s favourite steakhouse features urban-rustic cuisine with a custom-built rotisserie and charbroiler, vintage-style slicer and hand-crafted charcuterie eating bar.
The menu combines local chef-driven cuisine with Italian and French culinary inspirations. Ingredients are sourced from small, local artisan farmers and ranchers, with herbs harvested daily from its own garden, minimizing the miles food travels.
Charcut Calgary Appetizers
- Marinated Olives: warm foccacia
- Warm Artichoke Dip: pickles chillies, grilled bread
- Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail: smoked cocktail sauce
- Cauliflower Salad: tahini vinaigrette, mint, toasted seeds, dates
- Charcut Caesar: kale, soft egg, grana padano, bacon
- East Coast Oysters: lemon, horseradish, smoked tomato mignonette
- Tuna Conserva: lemon, pickled potatoes, grilled bread
- Charred Octopus: sausage, tomatoes, white beans, chili oil
- Quebec Reclette Cheese: warm rosemary focaccia buns
- Skillet Sausage: fried egg, kitchen pickles
- Charcut Charcuterie: hand-crafted artisan style cured meats
Charcut Calgary Pasta
- Spachetti Carbonara: pancetta, farm fresh egg
- Orecchiette: fennel sausage sugo, white beans, kale
- Pappardelle: roasted squash, mushroom cream, pumpkin seeds
- Gemelli: white bolognese, sage
Charcut Calgary Meat & Fish
- Alberta Beef Butcher Steak: matchstick potatoes, chimichurri
- Grilled Beef Tenderloin: smashed potatoes, wild mushrooms, horseradish jus
- Charcut Porchetta: crackling, cheddar grits, pickled apples
- Slow Roasted Smoked Prime Rib: rosemary jus, roasted garlic, horseradish cream
- Beef Chuck Cheeseburger: piri piri aioli, parmesan fries
- Half Rotisserie Chicken: salted lemon, chorizo mayo
- Bison Brisket: beech mushrooms, bacon, sour cream, soft polenta
- Fogo Island Newfoundland Cod: fine herbs, charred butter
- Slow Cooked Albert Lamb Shank: chickpeas, dill, feta
Charcut Calgary Sides
- Duck Fat Fried Poutine: truffle gravy, cheese curds
- Roasted Half Winter Squash: padano cheese, bread crumb
- Smoked Baked Potatoes: roasted garlic butter, sour cream
- Brussels Sprouts: fresh lemon chilli
- Parmesan Fries: tomato jam
Charcut Calgary Desserts
- Salted Caramel: milk chocolate pudding crunch
- Whipped Cheesecake: preserved fruit in a jar
- Fiasco Gelato
- Cheeses: hard, soft, bleu
- Warm Sticky Toffee Pudding: toffee sauce, salted caramel gelato
Charcut Calgary Hours
Monday and Tuesday: 11am-11pm
Wednesday to Friday: 11-1am
899 Centre Street South, 403-984-2180
You May Also Enjoy Reading…