Mengrai Thai is considered to be one of the best Thai restaurants in Toronto.
The popular Asian restaurant in Toronto is the perfect place to enjoy your favourite dishes from Thailand such as pad thai, tom yum soup, spicy coconut curry and spring rolls.
Mengrai Thai Toronto
Mengrai Thai first opened its doors in Toronto’s King East neighbourhood in 2008.
Owners Allan and Brandon Lim previously managed two smaller Thai restaurants. Brandon explains the move, “We needed to expand to a location with larger dining rooms and a bigger kitchen to meet the demands of our growing customer base and catering services. This also allowed us to launch our cooking school where we teach Thai cooking classes.”
Step Inside Mengrai Thai Toronto
Mengrai Thai is located in a historic building in Toronto, which was once a brewery back in the 1920s and 1930s. Since then the beautiful heritage building has also played home to an art gallery and mannequin factory.
The restaurants interior is filled with arts and craft inspirations from Thailand. Skip through the restaurants three dining rooms and you’ll find yourself transported to a bustling market in Chang Mai.
You’ll find smiling golden Buddha statues, upside down multi-coloured umbrellas hanging from the ceiling and classic Thai triangle pillows that fold out on comfy bench seats.
The Four Faced God shrine in the middle of the main dining room was placed here by Chef Sasi Meechai because she sensed a flow of energy going through that part of the restaurant.
Cooking Classes at Mengrai Thai Toronto
If you’re looking to take a Thai cooking class in Toronto, Mangrai Thai offers two fun, tasty and educational options. Both cooking classes include a short lecture on Thai cuisine including topics such as:
- wines that pair well with Thai food
- shopping tips on where to buy and find quality Thai ingredients
- ingredients that are used in everyday Thai cooking
- how to prepare exotic ingredients such as lemongrass and kaffir lime leaf
- health and nutritional benefits of Thai ingredients
- how to cook gluten-free and substitute certain ingredients to accommodate various dietary restrictions
Mengrai Thai Full Experience Class
- $115/person ($95 for groups of 6 or more)
- sampling of Thai appetizers served at the beginning of the class
- learn to prepare 3 Thai dishes (1 appetizer and 2 main entrees)
- after the class you can take your food home or stay to enjoy your feast in the Mengrai Thai dining room
- 2 to 2.5 hour duration
Mengrai Thai Learn and Fun Class
- $80/person (minimum 5 people)
- sampling of Thai appetizers served at the beginning of the class
- learn to prepare one Thai dish
- the cooks at Mengrai Thai prepare one additional entree per person after the class
- 1.5 to 2 hour duration
The Menu at Mengrai Thai
Mengrai Thai’s Chef Sasi Meechai grew up in a small village called Wiang Pa Pao, which is located in Chiang Rai Thailand. She moved to Canada in the mid 90s.
Today, Chef Sasi prepares traditional dishes from northern Thailand at Mengrai Thai restaurant in Toronto. Chef Sasi’s Mengrai Thai menu has been enjoyed by visiting A-listers such as Drew Barrymore, Jessica Alba and Mick Jagger.
Mengrai Thai: Appetizers and Soup
- Crispy Vegetarian Spring Rolls: served with sweet chili relish
- Crispy Panko Prawns: coconut deep fried prawns with sweet chili relish
- Fresh Cold Rice Paper Roll: organic greens, tofu, mango, carrot, rice paper, hoi sin
- Chicken Satay with Mango Salad
- Mango Salad Topped with Crushed Peanuts: sweet bell pepper, onion, dried, chili peppers, soya sauce
- Lemongrass Coconut Tom Kha Soup: spicy coconut broth with thai ginger, kaffir lime, basil, chili, tamarind, tomato, mushroom and scallions
- Lemongrass Tom Yum Soup: spicy coconut with thai ginger, kaffir lime, basil, chili, tamarind, mushroom, scallions
- Golden Flowers with Picalilli: crispy pastry shell, basil, soy, sweet pepper, onion, garlic coulis
- Royal Lemongrass Coconut Soup: coconut broth, thai ginger, kaffir lime, basil, chili, tamarind, tomato, mushroom, onion, roasted scallions.
- Crispy Morning Glory with Golden Pumpkin Soup
- Green Goddess Avocado Shrimp: poached shrimp with avocado coconut mousse and green curry.
Mengrai Thai: Noodles and Rice
- Royal Thai Pineapple Fried Rice: fresh pineapple, soy, garlic, peas, carrots, scallions, and cashews.
- Thai Fried Rice: soy, garlic, peas, carrots, onion, roasted scallions.
- Pad Swoon Sen Glass Noodle: egg, soy, garlic, bean sprout, green onion, bok choy, and dried scallions.
- Original Pad Thai: tamarind, egg, soy, garlic, palm sugar, ground pepper, cayenne, bean sprout, green onion.
- Chef’s Pad Thai: chili bean shrimp paste, tiger shrimp, chicken, tofu, egg, garlic, tamarind, green onion, bean sprout, and peanuts.
Mengrai Thai: Hot and Spicy Curries
- Eggplant Panang Curry: kaffir lime, garlic, galangal, lemongrass
- Regal Red Curry: coconut broth, yellow ginger, coconut, baby corn, eggplant, bamboo shoot, kaffir lime, garlic, galangal, lemongrass.
- Emerald Green Curry: Mengrai Thai’s spiciest curry with garlic, coconut, baby corn, eggplant, bamboo shoot, kaffir lime, garlic, galangal and lemongrass.
- Red Chicken Curry with Lychee
- Masaman Curry with Braised Curry Lamb and Peach
- Andaman ay Jumbo King Prawns: Panang curry sauce with crown of sticky rice.
- Whole Red Snapper in Panang Curry
Mengrai Thai: Stir Fry
- Ginger Stir Fry: ginger, sweet bell pepper, mushroom, bok choy, soy, garlic.
- Cashew Stir Fry: seasonal greens, sweet bell peppers, boy choy, nappa cabbage, soy, garlic, onions.
- Garlic Shrimp: caramelized fresh pineapple, sweet soy, garlic, and green onions.
- Basil Stir Fry: seasonal greens, boy choy, napa cabbage, basil, soy, garlic, onions.
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- Toronto’s Best Thai Restaurants
- Toronto’s Best Thai at Khao San Road
- Pai Thai Restaurant in Toronto
- Sabai Sabai Toronto: Best Thai Restaurant in Yorkville
- Kiin Thai Restaurant in Toronto
- Thai Feast at Bangkok Garden Near Dundas Square
- Favorites Toronto: Thai BBQ Restaurant on Ossington
- Sukothai Thai Restaurant in Toronto
Mengrai Thai: Vegetarian
- Chinese Broccoli with Shitake Mushrooms: soy, garlic, shitake mushrooms, tofu, mushroom sauce.
- Stir Fried Basil Eggplant: sweet basil, tofu, soya, garlic, onions.
- Crispy Tofu in Cashew Garlic Sauce: onion, sweet bell peppers, tangy soy garlic tomato sauce.
- Vegetarian Delight with King Mushrooms: stir fry with greens and tofu in a mushroom soy garlic sauce.
Mengrai Thai: Desserts
- Pineapple or Mango Cheesecake with Coconut Crumbs
- Mango Snowball: sticky rice, fresh mango, ice cream
- Honeyed Banana Fritter: mango or coconut ice cream
- Lemongrass Creme Brulee
- Tropical Ice Cream: mango, coconut, ginger, green tea
- Thai Sweet Coconut Sticky Rice with Fresh Mango
Mengrai Thai Hours Of Operation
Wednesday and Thursday: 11:30am-2pm, 4-10pm
Friday: 11:30am-2:15pm, 4-11pm
82 Ontario Street, 416-840-2754