Chocolate came to Europe in the 16th century, but it was in the second half of the 19th century when Swiss chocolate gained a revered reputation abroad. The invention of milk chocolate by Daniel Peter as well as the development of conching (fondant chocolate) by Rodolphe Lindt were closely connected with the rise of Swiss chocolate’s fame.
Save this story to Pinterest so you can look at it later!
Best Chocolate Shops in Switzerland
Every city in Switzerland has a handful of local chocolate boutiques, all which offer stellar truffles, pralines, and bars. If you’re planning an epic Swiss adventure and keen to nibble through quality chocolate along the way, here are six of Switzerland’s best bets.
Join Dobbernationloves founder Andrew Dobson in the kitchen by signing up for a fun virtual cooking class! Classes begin with a cocktail that you can sip while preparing 2-3 recipes that are curated around a unique culinary theme. Check out our current Cooking Class Schedule!
Best Chocolate Food Tours in Switzerland
- Small-Group Chocolate and Sweets Walking Tour of Zurich’s Old Town: Stroll the atmospheric streets and cobblestone lanes of Altstadt, or Old Town, with a local guide—an expert in Zurich’s artisanal shops and the Swiss confections the country is famous for.
- Gruyères Private tour: Chocolate & Cheese factory: There is no better temptation than chocolate smell ! A fantastic journey through chocolate & cheese traditions with a tasting of the most famous swiss delicacies.
- Chocolate Flavours Tours Geneva: On this tour, explore Geneva by land and water, delve into the decadent world of Swiss chocolate, and see this tasty treat in all its colorful guises.
In Lucerne just a short hop and a skip from the city’s famous covered bridge you’ll find the family owned Max Chocolatier. The sweet smelling shop is loved by locals for its unique “four seasons menu,” which offers a fresh menu every four months that reflect the seasons. In the autumn you’ll to find truffles featuring roasted nuts and dried fruits while in the summer jelly’s are made of freshly plucked berries and stone fruit.
Best Hotels in Lucerne
- Radisson Blu Hotel 4 STARS: Enjoy contemporary suites at this centrally located hotel featuring a spa, gym, bar and restaurant. Check Reviews
- Astoria Lucerne 4 STARS: Enjoy modern suites at this downtown hotel featuring a gym, bar and restaurant. Check Reviews
- Hotel Central Lucerne 3 STARS: This budget friendly centrally located hotel features bright guest rooms bar and complimentary breakfast. Check Reviews
Those with a sweet tooth looking to sample Bern’s finest chocolates, cakes and creams should be sure to visit the historic Confiserie Tschirren. The family owned sweet shop in the Swiss capital has been serving its coveted desserts for three generations, specializing in chocolates, pralines, truffles, and a parade of pretty pastries.
Best Hotels in Bern
- Hotel Bellevue Palace 5 STARS: Bern’s best luxury hotel offers chic suites, cocktail lounge and fine dining restaurant. Check Reviews
- Hotel Savoy Bern 4 STARS: Enjoy contemporary guest rooms and a daily breakfast buffet. Check Reviews
- Hotel Alpenblick 3 STARS: This budget friendly downtown hotel offers a gym, bar and complimentary breakfast. Check Reviews
If you’re keen to chirp “girl power,” while nibbling through Switzerland’s sweetest confections head to Sweetzerland, located a stones throw from the Four Seasons Hotel. Geneva’s popular chocolate boutique is run by a choir of women (in a male dominated world that’s cause for celebration), whose feminine touch can be tasted in each of their tasty truffles. Highlights include cherry and kirsch stuffed dark chocolate, milk chocolate bursting with passionfruit caramel, and a simply sublime preserved lemon rind dipped in the good stuff.
Best Hotels in Geneva
- Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues Geneva 5 STARS: Geneva’s best luxury hotel offers chic suites, gym, spa, cocktail bar and fine dining restaurant. Check Reviews
- Hotel Royal 4 STARS: Enjoy chic guest rooms, gym, spa, bar and restaurant. Check Reviews
- Hotel Suisse 3 STARS: This budget friendly downtown hotel offers a complimentary breakfast. Check Reviews
In Lausanne, Master Chocolatier Dan Durig demonstrates the art of chocolate-making in his workshop (located a stones throw from the train station). Durig Chocolatier is most unique because it offers hands on chocolate classes where sweets fans can create their very own truffles and hollow chocolate art. For the latter, during Easter select from moulds of massive eggs or cute bunnies and during Christmas a jolly Santa Clause or a festive tree.
Best Hotels in Lausanne
- Lausanne Palace 5 STARS: Lausanne’s best luxury hotel offers chic suites, gym, spa, cocktail bar and fine dining restaurant. Check Reviews
- Movenpick Hotel Lausanne 4 STARS: Enjoy contemporary guest rooms, gym, spa, bar and restaurant. Check Reviews
- Hotel des Patients 3 STARS: This budget friendly downtown hotel offers a bar and restaurant. Check Reviews
It should be no shock that one of Switzerland’s most visited attractions is a chocolate factory. Fans of Willy Wonka will be jumping for joy at the state-of-the-art multi-sensory experience at Maison Cailler in Broc.
Give yourself 90 minutes to enjoy the self guided tour, which begins with a hilarious Disneyland-style history of how the Swiss became so famous for their chocolatiers. You’ll then enjoy a hands-on zone where you can sniff, touch and taste the high quality ingredients used at Switzerland’s oldest chocolate factory (vanilla, cocoa, hazelnuts and almonds). Skip through the chocolate factory and watch as pralines are prepared from tiny logs to freshly wrapped confections. At the end of the tour guests loiter in luxury in an all-you-can-eat chocolate tasting room.
Best Hotels in Broc
- The Alpina Gstaad 5 STARS: Gstaad’s best luxury ski resort offers chic suites, gym, spa, pool, cocktail bar and fine dining restaurant. Check Reviews
- Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic 4 STARS: Enjoy contemporary guest rooms, gym, bar and restaurant at this Montreux Hotel. Check Reviews
- Le Chamois Swiss Quality Hotel 3 STARS: This budget friendly hotel offers cozy rooms and a bar in Ormont-Dessus. Check Reviews
In Switzerland’s Italian Ticino region skip along the sunny streets of Lugano until you find the long line that snakes outside of Vanini Cioccolato. A visit to Vanini stands out from the rest of Switzerland’s top chocolate shops as it has a distinct Italian vibe. The family run business operates a petite cafe where you can enjoy a frothy cappuccino and scoop of gelato as well as a neighbouring boutique featuring classic truffles as well as Vanini’s signature panettone and unforgettable Amaretti Kirsch (a chocolate covered almond cookie filled with cream and cherry liqueur).
Best Hotels in Lugano
- Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola 5 STARS: Lugano’s best luxury resort offers chic suites, gym, spa, pool, cocktail lounge and fine dining restaurant. Check Reviews
- Hotel De La Paix 4 STARS: Enjoy contemporary guest rooms, pool, cocktail bar and restaurant. Check Reviews
- Hotel Delfino 3 STARS: This budget friendly hotel offers a pool, cocktail bar and restaurant. Check Reviews
You May Also Enjoy Reading…
- 20 Must Try Tastes in Switzerland
- Exploring Zermatt, Switzerland’s Luxury Ski Village
- The Chedi Andermatt Luxury Resort in Switzerland
- Things To Do in Bern
- Schweizerhof Luxury Hotel in Bern
- Restaurant Vue at Hotel Bellevue Palace in Bern
- Travel to Zurich, Switzerland
- Gruyere Cheese From Switzerland
- Travel to Interlaken, Switzerland
- Cheese Lovers Live with a Farm Family in the Swiss Village of Gruyere
- The World’s Quirkiest Art Gallery: Collection de l’Art Brut in Lausanne
- Sleeping with Coco Chanel at Lausanne Palace Luxury Hotel
- These Luxury Hotels Will Make Your Swiss Honeymoon Dreams Come True
- Travel to St. Gallen and Lichenstein
- How To Make Tartiflette Reblochon
- Things to Do in Lugano
- Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola in Lugano
- Geneva to Gruyere: Exploring Switzerland’s French Side
- Haunting Alien Images from the HR Giger Musuem in Gruyere
- Things To Do in Montreux
- Exploring the Diversity of Geneva’s Culinary Scene
- Grand Hotel Les Trois Rois in Basel
- Things To Do in Basel
- Burgenstock Resort: Luxury Hotel Near Lucerne
- A Tasty Tour of Lucerne’s Medieval Old Town
Review Our Travel Checklist When Planning Your Next Adventure!
Find the best flights on Skyscanner
Never travel without insurance! We suggest World Nomads comprehensive coverage as it includes over 250 adventure activities such as scuba diving, bungee jumping and surfing.
If you’re planning a road trip make sure to compare the best local car rental options.
Looking to book a tour or VIP experience on holiday? Book the best local tours on Viator.
Be sure to check your travel destinations electrical plug requirements in advance. If you travel often be sure to purchase a multi-region adaptor.
Whether you’re marching through a city or exploring a rugged rural landscape, it’s important to ensure you’re traveling with comfortable footwear. We suggest these comfortable walking shoes for urban adventures or these waterproof hiking boots when embarking on a hike holiday.