Nando’s Toronto is a popular South African restaurant chain that specializes in Portuguese roast chicken.
The first Nando’s restaurant in Toronto opened in 2014 at the brands Canadian flagship location on Bay Street. Today, there are six Nando’s restaurants in Toronto.
I first encountered Nando’s famous flamed-grilled chicken on a visit to South Africa. Just as I was heading into Kruger National Park for an African safari my group stopped to pick up lunch. I’ll never forget the waft of spicy peri peri floating through the air.
Nando’s first opened in South Africa in 1987 and soon became famous for its Portuguese-style grilled chicken with a peri peri kick. The chain can now be found all over the world. It’s a real South African culinary success story.
Nando’s first Canadian doors opened in 1994 in Richmond, British Columbia. Now 20 years later, 29 restaurants span three provinces. It seems as though they are looking to seriously grow from coast to coast across Canada.
In Canada, Nando’s restaurants are most traditionally associated with quick service concepts in the suburbs. Nando’s Toronto opened its first “relaxed luxury dining concept,” similar to what you might find at their British concepts.
Nando’s Toronto Locations
Nando’s Canadian flagship first opened its doors at 832 Bay Street in 2014. Today, Nando’s restaurant offers six locations across the GTA including Bay Street, Queen West, Danforth, Eglinton, The Beaches, and Etobicoke.
- Nando’s Bay Street
- Nando’s Queen West
- Nando’s Danforth
- Nando’s Eglinton
- Nando’s The Beaches
- Nando’s Etobicoke
Step Inside Nando’s Toronto
Step inside Nando’s restaurant on Bay Street and you’ll find a spacious dining room, open concept kitchen and jaw-dropping interior design inspired by the restaurants South African roots.
The popular chicken restaurant in Toronto has a unique and unconventional ordering system. Diners order and pay for their meal at the front of the restaurant upon arrival. Similar to a fast food restaurant, guests then grab their own soft drinks and cutlery. Find an available table and once your food is ready it’s brought out for your to enjoy.
Because so many people enjoy eating wings and roast chicken with their fingers, you’ll also find a handy hand-washing station.
The Bar at Nando’s Toronto
The casual restaurant’s beverage selection offers a surprisingly diverse offering. Nando’s major competitor in Ontario is Swiss Chalet, which only offers a sad selection of mass produced beers like Coors and Molson.
At Nando’s Toronto you’ll find both Portuguese and South African beers by the bottle. You can also enjoy a selection of Canadian craft beers such as Muskoka Brewery, Sleemans, Granville Island and Flying Monkey.
Nando’s Toronto Menu
The restaurant’s menu has a little bit of something for everybody. If you love spicy food you can top your dishes with a selection of five different peri peri hot sauces. Some of the best tasting dishes on the menu are vegetarian!
Nando’s Toronto Appetizers
Our favourite apps at Nando’s are Peri Peri Nuts and finger-licking good wings.
- Peri Peri Nuts: spicy almonds, cashews, and macadamias.
- Peri Peri Sliders: regular or vegetarian.
- Peri Peri Chippers: fresh and crispy warm chips with Perinaise to dip.
- Mixed Olives: green and black olives with garlic, pepper and chili.
- Portuguese Garlic Bread
- Hummus with Pita: tangy Peri Peri infused oil and creamy hummus.
- Whole Wings: flamed grilled to order.
- Peri-Peri Crusted Wings
- Wing Roulette: 10 wings in a variety of Peri Peri heats.
- Appeteaster Platter: hummus, mixed olives and Peri Peri nuts.
Nando’s Toronto Sandwiches and Wraps
The Portobello Mushroom with Halloumi Cheese and Chili Jam Sandwich may just be one of the best vegetarian dishes I’ve enjoyed in Toronto (add a slice of pineapple for perfection).
- The Grand Tabbouleh: freshly baked Nando’s roll filled with Peri Peri chicken, roasted red peppers, quinoa tabbouleh and hummus.
- Peri Peri Chicken Sandwich: crispy leaf lettuce and tomato on a freshly baked Nando’s roll.
- Whole Wheat Peri Peri Chicken Wrap: served grilled with vegetables, sweet chili jam and tangy cilantro yogurt.
- Portobello Mushroom & Halloumi: roasted portobello mushrooms, tomato and lettuce mixed with cilantro dressing.
Nando’s Toronto Salads
A diverse selection of fresh salads offer a healthy lunch option.
- Casa Salad: fresh mixed greens, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, tossed in house dressing.
- Caesar Salad: classically prepared with house made croutons.
- Grilled Chicken & Halloumi Salad: Peri Peri chicken with red pepper, corn, chickpeas and halloumi cheese.
- Quinoa Salad: quinoa with chickpeas, butternut squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, and feta cheese.
Nando’s Toronto Peri Peri Chicken
Nando’s signature dish is it’s famous flame-grilled Portuguese-style chicken.
- Grilled Chicken Livers
- Double Skewers
- 1/4 Chicken
- Double Leg
- 1/2 Chicken
- Whole Chicken
Nando’s Toronto Share Platters
Nando’s restaurant’s share platters are bundled together to make take out a dream.
- Classic: whole chicken, 1 Nando’s side + garlic bread. Perfect for two people.
- Variety: half chicken + 5 whole wings, 2 skewers, 2 Nando’s sides. Perfect for 3 people.
- Full Pack: whole chicken, 2 Nando’s sides, and garlic bread. Perfect for 3 people.
- Familia: whole chicken, 2 skewers, 2 Nando’s sides, and garlic bread. Perfect for 4 people.
- Party Pack: 2 whole chickens, 3 Nando’s sides, and garlic bread. Perfect for 6 people.
Nando’s Toronto Sides
Mix and match Nando’s freshly made sides with any entree.
- Hearty Coleslaw
- Spiced Rice
- Peri Peri Vegetables
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Mancho Peas
- Peri Peri Fries
- Peri Peri Wedges
- Peri Peri Chippers
- Corn on the Cob
- Super Grain Salad
- Peri Peri Spinach
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Corn
Nando’s Toronto Desserts
- Pasteis de Natas: traditional Portuguese custard tart.
- Chili Chocolate Cake: rich dark chocolate cookie with chili heat.
- Nando’s Kisses: dark chocolate ice cream centered in milk chocolate ice cream.
- New York Cheesecake: light and airy shortbread crust filled with creamy cheesecake.
- Chocolate Cake: dark chocolate and fudge nestled between layers of decadent chocolate icing.
Nando’s Bay Street Hours
832 Bay Street, 416-925-8888