Kingyo Toronto is one of the best Japanese restaurants in Toronto. Located in the heart of Cabbagetown, Kingyo Toronto serves izakaya dishes by Chef Koji Zenimaru.
Kingyo Izakaya on Winchester Street specializes in sashimi, sushi, and grilled meat and seafood. Vegetarians in Toronto will love Kingyo restaurants vegan friendly recipes inspired by Buddhist monk recipes from Japan.
Step Inside Kingyo Toronto
Located in the basement of Toronto’s old Winchester Hotel, Kingyo Izakaya is the city’s first location by the popular Vancouver-based Japanese restaurant brand.
Step inside the east end izakaya and you’ll find a spacious, dimly lit dining room. Pachinko gambling machines offer a neon glow while exposed brick walls compliment the woodys interior. If you’ve traveled from Tokyo to Kyoto you’ll love the samurai swords, and goldfish, which swim inside a large communal table near the kitchen pass.
The unique aquarium integrated feasting table offers a clear nod to the restaurants name – which mans goldfish in Japanese.
Further exploration of the space showcases the good humour of the restaurants owner. The mens bathroom door features an encased Transformer and interior offers framed Japanese porno as ornamental appreciation.
The Bar at Kingyo Toronto
A projector plays old black and white Japanese films and high energy anime such as Doraemon on the back of the restaurants bar.
Kingyo Toronto offers one of the city’s best sake selections, which can be enjoyed by the bottle or as sake samplers. Highlights from Kingyo Izakaya’s sake collection include Kingyo x Izumi Original Sake, Masumi Tokusen, Kagatobi Gokkan, Tengumai Umajun, 50 Dassai, Tengumai Junmai Daiginjo and Aizu Homare.
You’ll also find a selection of high quality Sochu plum wines such as Takara Umeshu, Ozeki Unfiltered Umeshu, Yokaichi, Tamtakatan and Nishi No Miyako.
Beer lovers can enjoy Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin or God Speed Yuzu. The bar also offers a creative Asian-inspired cocktail menu:
- Doraemon Punch
- Shaved Frozen Super Lemon
- Wish Upon a Star
- Pineapple Punch
- Fresh Fruit White Wine Sangria
- Fresh Ginger Highball
- Shiso Sochu Highball
- Fresh Ginger Honey Lemon Vodka
- Lychee Chu-Hi
- Yuzu Gin Tonic
- Yuzu Mojito
Kingyo Toronto Menu
Toronto Japanese food fans greeted Kingyo with cheers after the success of Japanese restaurants in the city such as Hapa Izakaya, Kinka Izakaya, Hanmoto, Koyoi, and Kinton.
We suggest ordering 5-6 dishes between two people as the plates are designed for sharing.
Kingyo Toronto Starters
- Steamed Edamame
- Tako Wasabi: boiled octopus, raw octopus, wasabi relish, dried seaweed
- Deep-Fried Brussel Sprouts: brussel sprouts, bacon, sweet soy sauce, housemade special spices
- House-Made Atsuage Tofu: sliced onions, carrots, ginger, shiso leaf, takana, mizuna leaf
- Sizzling Mekabu Agedashi Tofu: deep fried tofu, mekabu seafood, potato starch, ankake mushroom sauce
Kingyo Toronto Salads
- Healthy Green Salad: green mix, sliced onion, avocado, tomato, cucumber, homemade vegetable dressing
- Chopped Seasonal Vegetable Neba-Neba Salad: seasonal vegetable, red cabbage, butternut squash, red onion, mekabu seaweed, cherry tomatoes, okra, radish sprouts, homemade onion dressing
- Beef Tataki Salad: green mix, sliced onion, radish, mizuna, garlic chips, homemade sour plum dressing
Kingyo Toronto Seafood
- Chefs Choice Sashimi Assortment
- Garlic Tuna Tataki with Ponzu Jelly: seared albacore tuna, ponzu jelly, onions, garlic chips, ponzu sauce, scallions
- Uni Sea Urchin Shooter: fresh sea urchin, bonito dashi, sushi rice, grated yamaimo, quail egg yolk, shiso and konbu
- Seasonal Steamed Egg Pudding: sea urchin, scallop, chopped seasonal seafood, egg, bonito dashi, scallop starchy sauce, shiso leaf, shiitake mushroom, gold flake
- Kingyo Ahi Poke: ahi tuna, avocado, sesame, grated mountain potato, wasabi, tobiko, seaweed sauce, garlic bread
- Jumbo Ebi Mayo: jumbo shrimp, green mix, cilantro, mayo, hot sauce
- Smoked Salmon Carpaccio: ikura, mizuna, asparagus, onions, yuzu, shiso leaf, tobiko, wasabi mayo, sesame soy dressing
- Seared Scallop and Marinated Tuna Carpaccio: scallops, ahi tuna, greens, onions, wasabi, tobiko, mayo, sesame soy dressing
Kingyo Toronto Meat
- Sizzling Plate Gyoza: minced pork, chives, ginger, garlic, homemade gyoza sauce
- Classic Chicken Karaage: deep-fried boneless chicken thigh, hells spicy sauce
- Stone Grilled Beef Tongue: hot stone, lemon wedge, cilantro sauce and yuzu pepper
- Kingyo Short Rib: braised short rib with kurozu balsamic and soy sauce, topped with cilantro oil and served with root vegetables
- Premium Wagyu Hot Stone BBQ: wagyu beef, green mix, grated daikon radish, ponzu, salt lemon dressing
Kingyo Toronto Rice & Noodles
- Stone Bowl Seafood Sea Urchin Udon: sauteed prawn, squid, scallops, ikura, marinated kelp, sea urchin, homemade ginger sauce, rice
- Burdock Kakiage and Shabu Shabu Udon: gobo burdock tempura, ribe eye shabu shabu, green mix, scallions, bonito soup
- Curry Shabu Shabu Udon: ribe eye shabu shabu, udon noodle, deep-fried tofu, mizuna, onions, scallions, bonito curry soup
- Rib Eye Shabu Shabu Udon: grated daikon radish, mizuna leaf, scallions, bonito soup
- Pork Tantan Ramen: chashu, scallions, chives, tonkotsu pork bone broth
- Vegetarian Spicy Miso Ramen: miso paste broth, minced tofu meat, scallions, bamboo shoots, chili rayu, garlic paste
Kingyo Toronto Sushi
- Avocado Battera: thinly sliced avocado, sushi rice, plum seaweed sauce
- Spicy Chopped Tuna Battera: spicy chopped tuna pressed sushi, avocado, tempura bits, green onions, tobiko, wasabi soy dressing, seaweed sauce, spicy sauce
- Aburi Gyu Battera: tenderloin beef, cucumber, shiso leaf, scallions, yuzu, salt sesame lemon sauce, gochujang sauce, cilantro oil
Kingyo Toronto Hours
Sunday to Thursday: 11:30am-3pm and 5-11pm
Friday and Saturday: 11:30am-3pm and 5pm-12am
Kingyo Toronto Reservations
51 Winchester Street, 647-748-2121