Looking to enjoy the best High Tea in Toronto? Look no further than Windsor Arms High Tea in Yorkville.
Skip inside the iconic luxury boutique hotel in Toronto and you’ll find a parade of tea lovers relaxing in a series of elegant Tea Rooms. Windsor Arms High Tea is enjoyed daily on the hotel’s main floor, located a short skip from the luxurious lobby.
What is High Tea?
High Tea, also known as Afternoon Tea, is a royal ritual, introduced in Britain in the early 1840s. The culinary tradition evolved into a mini meal to help stave off hunger pains before the evening meal at 8pm.
British High Tea was initially launched as a private social event for ladies looking to climb the echelons of high society. It wasn’t until Queen Victoria embraced the High Tea ritual that it became a more well known, larger scale “tea reception.” These historic receptions often included over two hundred guests who would drop in between the hours of 4pm and 7pm.
Across the United Kingdom today, High Tea is typically enjoyed on special occasions. It’s a posh indulgence for piping hot tea or iced tea lovers looking to celebrate a birthday, baby shower, pre-wedding party, Christmas or Mother’s Day.
Windsor Arms High Tea in Yorkville
If you’re visiting from out of town we suggest booking a suite at the Windsor Arms Hotel as Yorkville is a great home base when exploring Toronto. While Windsor Arms High Tea is the hotel’s most popular culinary tradition, Living Room Restaurant offers a fantastic craft beer selection and cocktail program.
The Windsor Arms Hotel offers one of Toronto’s best High Tea offerings, which can be enjoyed in three distinct rooms. The main Tea Room is painted a rich purple, featuring a cozy fireplace and mantel. The historic fireplace was part part of the Windsor Arms original design from the 1920s and in the winter still keeps guests warm. The lush purple room is actually the romantic space where Richard Burton proposed, for the second time, to Elizabeth Taylor in 1967!
Across the hotel’s lobby you’ll find two tea salons, which are often booked at for larger private parties. The more discreet and hidden spaces are a perfect spot for celebrities or High Rollers to rest and relax while sipping Earl Grey and nibbling on crustless cucumber sandwiches.
If you’re keen to support a good cause, ask your server about Windsor Arms High Tea Fancy Hat Program. Inside the Tea Lounge you’ll find a selection of colourful, fancy hats, which you can rent in support of Look Good Feel Better. Your $5.00 contribution support programs at Look Good Feel Better, a charity that offers free hands-on cosmetic and hair alternative workshops for women with cancer. So grab a feather adorned cap, pull up your sleeves and point your pinky at the chandelier above. Sip, nibble, rest, relax. Repeat!
Tea Selection at Windsor Arms Hotel Toronto
Since 1927, High Tea at the Windsor Arms Hotel has been the destination for discerning guests keen to indulge in the indulgent British culinary tradition. Windsor Arms offers a premium selection of loose leaf teas.
- Our Private Windsor Arms: ceylon, nilgiris, assam
- Eve’s Temptation: pure fruit featuring apple and mango
- Chai Arms: cardamom, cinnamon, clove, ginger, pepper, organic black
- Passion & Envy: passion fruit
- Darjeeling: makaibari estate
- Tibetan Tiger: chocolate bits, vanilla, organic rooibos, black tea
- Russian Caravan: lapsang, souchong, bergamot
- Black Velvet: ginseng, peppermint, licorice, china black
- Earl Grey with Roses: ceylon, bergamot, roses
- Earl Grey with Blue Flowers: organic lavender flowers
- Fruit Medley: apricot and apple fruit blend
- Chamomile: organic chamomile flowers
- Citralicious: organic lemon myrtle and organic mint
- Once Upon a Tea: chocolate bits, vanilla, fruit blend, organic mint, organic rooibos
- Black & Blue: blueberry and organic black
- White Tip Oolong: bai hao
- Fu Man Chu: jasmine and pu-erh
- Decaffeinated Black & Green Tea
- Lemon Verbena
Windsor Arms High Tea Menu
Traditional British afternoon tea service includes hand-crafted pastries, traditional tea sandwiches and English scones slathered in preserves and clotted cream.
Each guest enjoying Windsor Arms High Tea is given their own pretty pot to pour and three-tiered tray to nibble with glee. If you’re in a celebratory mood you can upgrade your High Tea experience with a glass of Prosecco, Sherry, Chardonnay or Rose. Gluten-free menus are available with 24 hours notice.
- Fresh Scones with Preserves and Devon Cream
- Smoked Salmon and Wasabi Sour Cream with Salmon Caviar Sandwich
- Cucumber with Sundried Tomato Paste and Dill Cream Cheese Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken and Granny Smith Apple Sandwich with Greek Yogurt and Chives
- Goat Cheese and Caramelized Shallot Tart
- Mushroom and Spinach Quiche
- Petits Fours including lemon meringue tart, chocolate opera cake, berry macaron and passion fruit square
Windsor Arms High Tea Hours
Daily seatings are available at 12:30pm, 1pm, 3pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm, 6pm
Monday to Thursday $40 per person
Friday to Sunday $50 per person
18 St Thomas Street, 416-971-9666
High Tea is a popular tradition in the United Kingdom as well as the British colonies and beyond. These are our favourite afternoon tea’s around the world:
- Afternoon Tea at The Langham Hotel in Chicago
- Afternoon Tea at the Shangri-La Hotel in Toronto
- Afternoon Tea at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Niagara
- Afternoon Tea at the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai
- Afternoon Tea at Fairmont Chateau Laurier in Ottawa
- Afternoon Tea at the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong
- Afternoon Tea at the Fairmont Empress in Victoria
- Afternoon Tea at The Plaza Hotel in New York City
- Afternoon Tea at Langdon Hall in Cambridge
- Afternoon Tea at Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire
- Afternoon Tea at Metrodeco in Brighton
- Afternoon Tea at Pettigrew in Cardiff
- Afternoon Tea at The Bermuda Perfumery
- Afternoon Tea at Urban Tea Merchant in Vancouver
- Afternoon Tea at Boh Tea Esate in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
- Afternoon Tea at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui
- Afternoon Tea at St Regis Resort in Bali
- Afternoon Tea at The Strand Hotel in Yangon