Fuwa Fuwa is Toronto’s best Japanese pancake restaurant.
If you’re a Toronto brunch fan looking for a new spot to line up this weekend head to Bloor and Brunswick in The Annex. Fuwa Fuwa is a bustling restaurant serving stacks of fluffy Japanese souffle pancakes.
About Fuwa Fuwa Pancake House
The restaurant’s trendy, soft-as-a-cloud pancakes originated in Osaka and are traditionally served in Japan as a wedding dessert.
The Japanese love their culinary symbolism. During my recent visit I learned that soufflé pancakes are given their distinct airy texture by separating yolk from white, whipping the whites into a meringue until they are soft as a pillow and then reincorporating. It’s clear that the chef’s sublime “marriage of yolk and white,” has found its destiny (in many of Toronto’s breakfast bellies).
The all day breakfast restaurant’s name translates to “fluffy fluffy,” and since air is the star of the show, expect to wait as long as 20 minutes for your order as both the batter and each pancake are made fresh to order.
Visit Fuwa Fuwa Restaurant in Toronto
The restaurant offers a bright and airy petite space that seats just 20 diners at a time. The all day breakfast restaurant’s interior design offers a clean, minimalist aesthetic featuring wood panels and white walls.
The ideal time to visit the restaurant is in the evening, after the crowds die down. I suggest visiting with a group of foodie friends and ordering every dish on the menu. As the parade of pancake’s fly through the dining room you’ll have an opportunity to taste each of the chef’s creations without feeling too full once you waddle out onto the street.
The popular Japanese pancake restaurant recently opened a second location in Toronto’s Midtown at 2471 Yonge Street.
Fuwa Fuwa Toronto Menu
Start things off with a frothy cappuccino and match latte, then sip the restaurant’s signature fruit-infused water to whet your whistle. Tiny jars of creme caramel are fun to spoon through while you’re waiting for your pretty pancakes to arrive.
- Berry Detox Water: blueberry, raspberry
- Tropical Detox Water: pineapple, pear, apple
- Sunshine Detox Water: strawberry, orange, lime
- Hot Chocolate
- Lemon Ginger
- Apple Cider
- Hojicha Latte
- Sesame Late
- Ice Strawberry Latte
- Iced Matcha Latte
- Iced Mango Latte
- Iced Latte
- Sesame Latte
- Signature Matcha Red Bean Latte
Japanese Souffle Pancakes
Each pancake is made-to order with free-run eggs delivered fresh to the restaurant each morning. Diners can enjoy watching pancakes as they are made via the restaurants semi-open kitchen. The intensive “from scratch” process takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Souffle Pancake: original pancake, butter, maple syrup
- Fuwa Fuwa Signature Pancake: original pancake, strawberry, blueberry, banana
- Tiramisu: original pancake, tiramisu cream, coffee syrup
- Creme Brulee: original pancake, creme brulee sauce, vanilla ice cream
- Raspberry and Caramelized Banana: original pancake, raspberry, blackberry, banana, raspberry sauce
- Blueberry Cheese: original pancake, cheese, blueberry cream cheese, caramelized lemon
- Match and Red Bean: original pancake, japanese red bean, kyoto match cream
- Cookes and Cream: original pancake, cookies and cream, oreo cookies, milk
- Nutella Banana: original pancake, nutella chocolate sauce, hazelnut chocolate, fresh bananas
Satisfy your sweet tooth with any of the restaurant’s house-made Japanese desserts. Each dessert is made with real butter and fresh cream.
- Japanese Pudding
- Matcha Roll Cake
- Butter Roll Cake
Other Japanese Restaurants in Toronto
- Okonomi House in Toronto
- Arisu Korean BBQ & Sushi in Toronto
- Sushi at Koko Share Bar in Yorkville
- Sushi at Japango Restaurant in Toronto
- Noka Sushi in The Annex
- Japanese at Sushi Inn in Yorkville
Fuwa Fuwa Toronto Hours
Monday to Thursday: 11am-10pm
Fuwa Fuwa Toronto Reservations
408 Bloor Street West, 647-618-2868