A sponsored dobbernationLOVES post.
I peddled up Yonge Street, took a quick left hand turn at the Cook Book Store and was quickly flagged down by two policemen. I was advised that glass was falling from the sky and that Yorkville Avenue had therefore been closed. I could see Blu Ristorante a stones throw down the road, begged and pleaded with no success. I could ring some of these condo developers necks, shoddy work in our fine city has become somewhat of a laughing stock. Heaven forbid you buy a condo! I stood on the curb agressively tweeting about the fact that falling glass was preventing me from eating. It turns out one of these tweets would appear in the Sept 11th Metro News.
Once the shatter factor had been deemed safe I was able to zoom on passed the yellow tape and lock up my bike. I walked up a set of stairs and entered a moody Victorian maison. I had been looking forward to my dinner with Eatzclub and Daily Bread Food Bank all weekend. I was introduced to representatives from both organizations during Toronto’s first ever Ride and Go Feast. I am happy to announce I will be working in partnership with Eatzclub to showcase how their dining club membership allows you to easily give back to Daily Bread Food Bank.
Facts on Toronto Hunger courtesy of Daily Bread Food Bank:
- Daily Bread Food Bank collects and purchases food and distributes it to over 170 member agencies across Toronto.
- Last year, Daily Bread provided food for 794,000 client visits to its member agencies.
- 36% of Daily Bread clients are children.
- 46% of adult food bank users have not eaten for a day because of lack of money.
This is the hunger reality in Toronto today. Eatzclub hopes to offer an innovative solution for people to give back. Their motto is “Eat, Earn, Give” and here is how it works:
- SIGN UP for a FREE membership HERE.
- EAT: Choose to dine out at an eatzclub-member restaurant. An eclectic list of Toronto’s best kept secrets will be shared shortly.
- EARN: Two memberships to chose from: with FREE memberships, earn 5% of the subtotal back in eatzclub dollar rewards that you can redeem when you dine at your next eatzclub member-restaurant. On paid VIP memberships ($49) earn 10% of the subtotal back in eatzclub dollar rewards. This would benefit those dining enthusiasts that eat out all the time!
- GIVE: Eatzclub donates 10% of gross proceeds to Daily Bread Food Bank. You can also donate any of your earned reward dollars to DBFB!
Our dinner at Blu was fantastic, I was pleasantly surprised that on a Monday night the restaurant featured a live guitarist as well as a room filled with patrons. The owner Alfredo is a great host and an avid supporter of doing good in the community.
SIGN UP for EatzClub today: nothing more satisfying than enjoying a lovely meal while giving back to those who need it most!
We enjoyed (* notes my favorites)
rye, campari, grand marnier
Blu #5 *
raspberry vodka, chambord, prosecco
Puffed Pastry to Amuse the Mouth *
eggplant caponata, salsa verde, balsamic reduction
shaved parmesan, infused truffle lemon olio
Pear Salad *
gorgonzola, belgian endive, radicchio, walnuts
Soup of the Day
tomato and orange
Octopus with Squid Ink
cannellini bean puree, garlic confit and tomato, grilled pineapple, salsa harissa
Duck Confit Pappardelle *
roasted king oyster mushroom, duck demi cream
Pan Seared Scallops
pulled beef brisket, salsa verde, endive
Sage and Prosciutto Veal Saltinbocca *
sweet potato gnocchi, rapini, marsala sauce
Braised Lamb Shank
roasted new potato, fennel, red wine and herb jus
Pan Seared Halibut
radicchio, green beans, roasted beets, saffron beurre blanc
peanut and hazelnut semifredo, tiramisu, fresh berries with chamomile grappa