My friend Mike recently celebrated his 40th birthday. I spent the entire morning and afternoon before the party making three treats. I wanted the gifts to have a common theme so decided to present them in one of my favorite things on earth, The Mason Jar. These antique jars can be used as a cocktail glass, flower pot or coin collector. It also comes in handy when you are looking to preserve figs or prepare a spring time coulis.
Onion Turkey and Truffle Soup with Sweet Potato Chai Mousse
For the soup:
black truffle oil
For the Mousse:
roasted and skinned sweet potato
Starbucks Tazo chai tea syrup
Chocolate Jar Caked filled with Strawberry Preserve and Topped with Vanilla Buttercream and Berries
For the Jar Cake:
- Prepare your favorite cake batter (mine is chocolate obviously).
- Fill jar 1/3 with batter then scoop a teaspoon of fruit jam into the center of the jar.
- Continue to fill jar with cake batter until 2/3 full.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes at 375 F.
- Let cake cool in jar.
- Pipe favorite icing into jar and top with berries.
- Screw on the lid and present to 40 year old gay with great enthusiasm.
NOTE: I’ve become obsessed with eating everything out of jars. Another idea I am toying with in the realm of jar cake is doing a lemon pound cake filled with raspberry jam, topped with lemon curd, piped with meringue and torched. Imagine unscrewing a mason jar to find that beautiful creation staring back up at you!